Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

proscan psvr81 VCR won't power up

I picked up this VCR, and it's newer than anything I usually work on (looks early 90s), but it looks to be a high end model and I'd like to at least try to get it going. I haven't yet checked the obvious, like taking the cover off and seeing if the power cord came loose or if there's a blown fuse. But I was wondering if there was some common cause of this in these units: a voltage regulator, or filter capacitor in the power supply known for going bad and causing this? I figure if it won't power on at all, it might just be a power supply issue that I can actually fix and nothing else that is wrong with this unit.

Last edited by Adam; 01-30-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:20 PM
Peanut Head

I had to replace voltage regulators on a few Panasonic built VCR's. I'd check there first.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:20 PM
M is for Memory

Some JVC decks I have will play dead when the B+ rail filters go bad. Got an ESR meter?...The $15 Chinese ones on ebay are a worthwhile aid in servicing SS gear.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-31-2018, 06:30 AM
Peanut Head

Agreed. These machines are now old enough for the electrolytics to be going bad.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I picked up this VCR, and it's newer than anything I usually work on (looks early 90s), but it looks to be a high end model and I'd like to at least try to get it going. I haven't yet checked the obvious, like taking the cover off and seeing if the power cord came loose or if there's a blown fuse. But I was wondering if there was some common cause of this in these units: a voltage regulator, or filter capacitor in the power supply known for going bad and causing this? I figure if it won't power on at all, it might just be a power supply issue that I can actually fix and nothing else that is wrong with this unit.
Is that the model with a separate power supply module or is everything on the main board? Do you have an idea who made it for Thompson?
Audiokarma
Old 02-05-2018, 05:55 PM
blast, blast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Do you have an idea who made it for Thompson?
That was made by IVP- International Video Products. IVP was a joint venture with Toshiba and someone else. Was it Thomson? It's been so long I've forgotten.

That's a 1992 introduction. It is in ProScan service data index PSVR61/81. FCC ID# was G95667192. I've never worked on a PSVR81 but have worked on 10 of the PSVR61. None of them had any power supply problems, however.

FCC ID# G95667192 is shared with RCA model VR667HF. Computer says I worked on 25 of these models between 1994 and 2001.

One of the 667's I worked on in 1999 was dead after lightning damage. I found the main switching IC (RCA part number 211570) blown. Replacing it repaired the power supply but, there were other lightning related issues after that so it was a "no fix".

As others have mentioned it would not surprise me that power supply electrolytics would need to be replaced after this time.

Good luck repairing yours!
Old 02-06-2018, 10:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

That would be about the time that Toshiba and Samsung got together to make some truly horrible VCR's. Samsuck also made several units for RCA/Thompson around this time frame.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Never heard of IVP, and this was a unique machine I couldn't identify a manufacturer on. Pretty cool info.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:26 AM
blast, blast...

I wouldn't have guessed that Samsung was part of any joint venture with Toshiba but, it was a long time ago and I've had important things to think about since.

The Samsung era of VCR and TV/VCR branding for Thomson began about 1987 (with the RCA model VPT200) and continued until at least the time that I got out of the biz in 2001.