Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:58 AM
M is for Memory

Sad...Though, I guess it is better than those scum bags who gut and repurpose console cabinets.

The bad thing about modernizing the look of the timeless is that modern taste is transitory. What is hot today will be the height of tacky tomorrow, thus updating it makes it more likely to go out of style....If someone wants a radio that age a up-to-date cabinet style likely will make no difference to them.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 03-27-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:57 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Sad...Though, I guess it is better than those scum bags who gut and repurpose console cabinets.

The bad thing about modernizing the look of the timeless is that modern taste is transitory. What is hot today will be the height of tacky tomorrow, thus updating it makes it more likely to go out of style....If someone wants a radio that age a up-to-date cabinet style likely will make no difference to them.

It is a crying shame, IMHO, that the cabinet of this GE radio was repainted. I think the cabinet is real wood, and to paint over such a beautiful thing is inexcusable. If the paint were stripped off, it might well ruin the wood underneath permanently.

I have two Zenith AM-FM table radios in real wood cabinets; I would not dream of doing anything to the finish of either of them. I like the look of real wood, and all but hate it when I see such a cabinet repainted, as this one was. One of my Zenith radios, a K731 in an Early American style cabinet, is in my apartment atop my refrigerator, and it matches the kitchen cabinets perfectly. The other Zenith, a C845 (like the one in my avatar), is in my bedroom atop a chest of drawers; again, the finish of the radio's cabinet matches that of the chest almost perfectly. Both radios work and sound great as well, even though both are well over 50 years old. These radios are keepers as far as I am concerned.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 03-28-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
It is a crying shame, IMHO, that the cabinet of this GE radio was repainted. I think the cabinet is real wood, and to paint over such a beautiful thing is inexcusable. If the paint were stripped off, it might well ruin the wood underneath permanently.

I have two Zenith AM-FM table radios in real wood cabinets; I would not dream of doing anything to the finish of either of them. I like the look of real wood, and all but hate it when I see such a cabinet repainted, as this one was. One of my Zenith radios, a K731 in an Early American style cabinet, is in my apartment atop my refrigerator, and it matches the kitchen cabinets perfectly. The other Zenith, a C845 (like the one in my avatar), is in my bedroom atop a chest of drawers; again, the finish of the radio's cabinet matches that of the chest almost perfectly. Both radios work and sound great as well, even though both are well over 50 years old. These radios are keepers as far as I am concerned.
I hear you and I realize that opinion exists. But those holding it, are missing the point. As I am fond of telling people "the world you think you live in, died long before you entered it". And it applies to so much. This hobby is no different. We are working on dusenbergs, model A's, packards and while it seems interesting, the number of who think so number in the comparative dozens.

Reality, when we are done, its over. One, out of 300 million, will not be a resurgent trend.

So, compare that to my business statement: my plan only works if the stuff ends up in 'your' living room (in the royal sense)

Only then does interest foster itself. Do you have a few units in your house? Wonderful. They will be seen again at your estate sale. Will that self sustain?

Reality, why do I buy all or most of the radios at a sale? Because I can. It has nothing to do with having deeper pockets or a commanding 'yuuuup', its because I am unopposed. The subject radio? It and 4 8ft tables worth for $5 at a well advertised sale. Yeah, they are real valued.

No one cares. Not even the guys here and other websites.

I am doing my part to change that. I process a couple hundred units a year. Yeah, some get scrapped out, but they die and others live. Its really no different from any other restoration hobby. 'Cept radios are cheaper than cars.

Pioneer Silver-face Collector