Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Its over at AR, someone was worried about room for it !!
Told him to get it, guess the best man won
Even I would have gone for this one.....
Congrats

73 Zeno
Old 09-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Good set for someone who said he got out of tube color. All you needed was one that's good enough to bring you around again.

I would have done the same (if able to) for a well-kept example of a set that I wanted.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:17 PM
Workin' Late Again

I think that's the nicest looking cabinet that's ever contained a color TV.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Still Y2K Compliant!

Tim,

Congratulations! That's a neat set! I had a CTC-5 Arliss many years ago when I was very young and first got into collecting vintage color TVs. The cabinet needed help, the back was missing, and the CRT had been necked. I loved that set though. It was the first set that, even though it didn't work, really brought the excitement of early color TV to life for me. Got rid of it many years ago, sadly. Yours is the only other one I've seen listed in all this time. Keep us posted as you work on it. Great find!

Gilbert

www.galaxymoonbeamnightsite.com
Old 09-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

Looking forward to pictures!

Hope the CRT is good.
Audiokarma
Old 09-05-2014, 07:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm more interested in the color roundie sets that are 1959 and up.. But this one surly takes the cake... I absolutely LOVE this design...
Old 09-06-2014, 07:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Just talked to the seller. Made him an offer well over the asking price to hang on to the set for me till next weekend, and paid by PayPal.

Mine! Mine mine mine mine mine

Thanks John!!!
Congratulations Tim! Great find!

I live in Syracuse and check the listings daily in Craigslist for Syracuse and surrounding areas. I did not see this one come up. Was it listed for only a few hours?

You may recall I restored a CTC5 Whitby with the Deluxe chassis picked up in Toronto a couple of years ago. I feel the CTC5 is a good set but it has had a bad rap. Perhaps it is because the design had problems with the saggy HV Supply. It is good you have this set as we can open more CTC5 discussion. I have been putting off doing further work on my set and now will pursue this.

It looks like the Arliss has it's original 21AXP22A. Mine did and I was surprised that the tube survived and emission tested excellent. Perhaps the reason the CRT survived was the drooping HV problem which made the picture a bit dim which deterred extra use? I trust the CRT in the Arliss will be good.

On a side note, the CTC5 and all subsequent RCA vacuum color tube sets, (up and beyond the end of the roundies) employed X-Z color demodulation. Of these, only the Deluxe CTC-5 employed a wide band chroma channel (+1.5/-0.5MHz). The upside of this will be better chroma resolution and the downside will be quadrature crosstalk between X and Z channels. The trade off is interesting and I remain curious the why wideband chroma was dropped in subsequent RCA sets. Was it cost or perhaps no actual technical benefit ?(Wideband chroma would require an extra tube for the required extra amplification).

In any case, as you work on it I look forward to more CTC5 discussions!

Cheers,

Terry

Last edited by Penthode; 09-06-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Just picked it up! It's in the van, not a scratch on it! Looks mint!! It was at a nice house WAYYY in the woods among some "amazing" homes. One house was a school bus body with the back cut off, and attached to a larger version of Snoopy's doghouse with a locking door on it, I kid you not

Waiting to meet another VKer for some set swapping shortly. But the 5 is coming home with me
Old 09-13-2014, 02:20 PM
Administrator

While we're waiting for him to come in, my wife is watching Cinderella and I admit that if I hafta sit through this whole movie I'm gonna go insane . We've got a suite at the Courtyard Marriott here, then we're gonna go to a froo froo restaurant.

And people wonder why my wife has no issues with any TVs I wanna buy . It's balance, gentlemen
Old 09-13-2014, 04:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great. I was waiting to hear when you picked up the set.

I think the CTC5 deluxe is an excellent set and excellent find. Look forward to you getting it running.

Cheers,

Terry
Audiokarma
Old 09-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Well, I'm home now. $180 in gas and 3.5 hours each way in my big old van. Good thing I met up with another VKer to get some good stuff

The set is almost spotless inside save a light layer of dust, and has a Utah speaker in it, much to my surprise. Someone very carefully made a homemade back for this set. It was very well loved.

Tested the 21AXP22. No filament light. Stone dead.

Damn
Old 09-14-2014, 02:25 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I don't think that's a huge problem, a compatible CRT ought to be an easier find than the set itself.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tim,

Congratulations. Glad it was you that scored that rare Arliss and made that listing disappear so quickly. And w/UHF as a bonus. I'm sure you'll locate a roundie tube although a good testing 21AX would be a plus. Watching PGA golf on my CTC-5 Wingate right now.

-Steve D.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:24 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Ahhh HATE Yew !-Y. Sam, Esq. Seriously, GREAT score, even w/the dud CRT. I'm hoping you can "over volt" it back into life...
Old 09-14-2014, 05:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

if all three are out, maybe try reflowing the pins, check for continiuty just in case your CRT tester is acting up as well.
Audiokarma