Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage Home Gaming

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Post Programmable cartridges

What are your thoughts on these?

Not only can you fit the entire library of games ever produced for a system on one cart, but you can also use them to play games created by yourself and others. And that doesn't even include features that may have been unavailable on the original games, such as the ability to save or start on a certain level.

Part of me thinks this is awesome. I don't have to devote space to a collection of game carts, the ROMs are available for free, and just about any gameplay mod I can imagine is possible.

But part of me wonders if this isn't cheapening the whole vintage gaming experience. Collecting the carts, finding new games at thrift stores and garage sales, and then playing them through as they were meant to be played are part of the fun. By their very nature you can't save a game or cheat (with some exceptions), and so there is more personal satisfaction when you've finally played a game through and beaten it.

Anyone else having this kind of internal debate? Or maybe I just need to stop overthinking it and get busy gaming.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm all about being as authentic as possible. I'd much, much rather have an authentic cartridge and play that over anything that's a reproduction or some alternative way to play the game on the system.

But in an age where the Atari VCS (2600) is turning 40 years old next month, some of these games are VERY hard to find. And, if you can find them (Ex: eBay), expect to pay an absurd amount of money. There are many games on the market that are worth more than double (or triple, or more) the cost of an everdrive that would allow you to play every single game for that console.

I'd much, much rather have the original cartridge and play it as it was intended. But it reaches a point where playing a game authentically isn't worth the cost when it's dead simple to play it by other means.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

It's all part of being a collector/enthusiast. No reason not to go both routes for something like this, because it isn't doing a permanent modification to original equipment.