Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice score and the price was reasonable!!! My 91 has close to 500K on the clock and it still runs like the proverbial clock. Only problem was a known problem... weak head bolts... had to yank the head for a head gasket water leak around 185K and cut the valves and put injectors in at that time, even though a valve job and injectors were not needed. It now leaks more oil than it uses, but still only loses a quart per 2500 miles. I religiously changed oil and greased it every 3-4K, changed trans and rear oil every 50K, and it still has the original front end except for the right lower ball joint. Bear in mind the timing belt needs to be changed right around 60K but it's a non interference motor so it just quits when the belt goes away.
To bad the later Rangers didn't drive or handle nearly as well as the older ones.
Enjoy!!!

Jim
Old 10-24-2017, 03:07 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Talked w/a car salesman buddy & he allowed that for the vast majority of things people buy trucks for,a Ranger, Kadota, or an S-10 is really all you need. In MY case, that's certainly been the case.. The Mighty Valdez, IT gets "Tapped" quite a bit, but a lot of it has been vast overkill. I WILL admit that it rides a LOT better if you have7-8 people & half a tonne of crapola in it. There's a fella a street or 2 back of me, he has a Smart. I told him If it ever gets tired, he could turn it on its side, put it in the "Cargo" area, & he'd be All Set..Kinda funny, they ALL give me H3!! over it until they gotta use it for themselves, then all the wise-ass jokes cease.. Under normal usage, you MIGHT come close to taxing its capabilities once every 2 or 3 months....Maybe...
Old 11-02-2017, 08:47 AM
Motorola Minion

A 93 Ranger with a 3.0 V6 - top loader 5 speed with 4WD, my first new vehicle. Fine handling and braking, and QUIET on the highway too! 1993 Ranger was the Mazda-cloned re-design. What happened? the body-mount bushing brackets and suspension attachments were rusting and I spent 3 day once redoing all the brake lines. Had to cut, flare and bend all new lines. the pre-made ones at all the parts stores including the dealer, had the wrong thread for what was on MY truck.

The 1988-91 models seem to outlast the ones that came right after, at least locally....a rust issue hurt most mid-90s and on full size.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:38 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Talked w/a car salesman buddy & he allowed that for the vast majority of things people buy trucks for,a Ranger, Kadota, or an S-10 is really all you need. In MY case, that's certainly been the case.. The Mighty Valdez, IT gets "Tapped" quite a bit, but a lot of it has been vast overkill. I WILL admit that it rides a LOT better if you have7-8 people & half a tonne of crapola in it. There's a fella a street or 2 back of me, he has a Smart. I told him If it ever gets tired, he could turn it on its side, put it in the "Cargo" area, & he'd be All Set..Kinda funny, they ALL give me H3!! over it until they gotta use it for themselves, then all the wise-ass jokes cease.. Under normal usage, you MIGHT come close to taxing its capabilities once every 2 or 3 months....Maybe...
Like you and I have joked about, it has enough room to seat the key players of a whole wheelchair basketball team, and much if not all their gear. Excursion, aka F 250 enclosed, the world's largest station wagon. Any bigger requires a CDL, all hail the Mighty Valdez. The King aka Mack Daddy of all the SUV on the highway. This olde pharte loves it!