Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Syntax Brillian Olevia 42" TV Spotted at Goodwill

Hello Everyone, today I was at goodwill with a friend of mine who was in need of a new TV and I spotted a Syntax Brillian Olevia 42" HDTV Model 242FHD-T11 for sale there for $39.99 that when we tested it, it powered on and went through all of the inputs like it should of and I looked at the specs on that TV online and it looks like a pretty impressive TV for being from around the late 2000's (I think its from around 2009 or so), it does Full HD (1080p) which is I think is what the FHD suffix is for in the model number, and has two HDMI ports, 2 composite (Yellow, White and Red RCA Jacks), 2 Component Jacks (Red, Green, Blue, White and Red RCA Jacks), 2 VGA Jacks, and Digital and Analog Audio Output Jacks, and a Subwoofer output, and a USB Jack, and a NTSC Analog, ATSC Digital Tuner built-in to the TV.

I was trying to find some reviews on the TV and only found some "reviews" on Amazon.com (which really isn't a good place to get solid reviews for HDTV TVs or electronics in general because most of those ratings especially negative ones are left by people who don't know what they're talking about).

I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with Syntax Brillian Olevia TVs and if so what did you think of them?

I had read somewhere that they were American made TVs? Is this true?

I'm trying to get some information on this TV for my friend because he is trying to decide whther or not he should get it and use it in place of his old LCD TV that started malfunctioning.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:48 PM
M is for Memory

I don't know if goodwill by you is like it is by me but...Here if you see a good flat panel of decent size and wait a day to think it over it won't be there when you return.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-12-2020, 12:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I don't know if goodwill by you is like it is by me but...Here if you see a good flat panel of decent size and wait a day to think it over it won't be there when you return.
Well it was pretty close to closing time when me and my friend saw the TV at the Goodwill, and I'll be seeing my friend again around 11am tomorrow and I think we should be able to get it before it sells.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post

I had read somewhere that they were American made TVs? Is this true?
And that would be a negative sir...

There have been some final assy plants on these shores, but it has more to do with tariffs than anything else. Walmart's new house brand ONN are assembled here for now. That may change in the near future. BTW, ONN TVs are true toilets (any disrespect to toilets unintentional).

The Olevias weren't terrible, but mostly a low end TV. Picture is OK but viewing angles typically are narrower and real world contrast ratios are worse than better brands. Most problems we've seen are typical power supply caps venting, but there have been incidents of intermittent main boards.

John

Last edited by JohnCT; 11-14-2020 at 02:46 PM.