Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:42 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Westinghouse LCD TV's are plagued with power supply problems and main board problems. More than likely it had a Wii Accident that is all too common. Along with Polaroid(more like hemorrhoid) and a few others are the bottom of the barrel for flat screen TV's. Best to leave it in the garbage where it belongs.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:04 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
Westinghouse LCD TV's are plagued with power supply problems and main board problems. More than likely it had a Wii Accident that is all too common. Along with Polaroid(more like hemorrhoid) and a few others are the bottom of the barrel for flat screen TV's. Best to leave it in the garbage where it belongs.
Who actually makes "Westinghouse" branded LCD televisions? I don't think they are made by Westinghouse itself, if the company even exists any longer -- which I doubt as well.

You mentioned a "Wii accident" that can ruin these TVs. What harm can a Wii video game console do to the set? Do the consoles run the panel at such high brightness (much higher than normal video drive levels) that the entire video chain eventually burns out, or the panel itself is damaged or destroyed by image burn-in? I realize image burn-in is not as common with LCD televisions as it is with plasma flat screens, but I do believe it is possible to burn a stationary image permanently onto an LCD screen if it is bright enough and it remains motionless on the screen long enough, not unlike screen burns on old CRT TVs.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Who actually makes "Westinghouse" branded LCD televisions? I don't think they are made by Westinghouse itself, if the company even exists any longer -- which I doubt as well.
Westinghouse TVs are made by Tsinghua TongFang Company, which also makes Apex, Element, Haier, iSymphony, RCA, Sceptre, Seiki, Sigmac, and Silo. Tsinghua TongFang build more TVs for many different brands than others in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsinghua_Tongfang_Company

Tsinghua TongFang Company currently rates 23rd most-reliable video electronic manufacturer in the world.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1403415/wh...#post_21914558
Old 08-23-2012, 12:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
They are probably sourced from different manufacturers. I traded the repair of a Westinghouse LCD flat panel TV for some stereo equipment and found a Chi Mei Optoelectronics panel and Delta power supply board inside it. Listening to it clearly revealed that the power supply was in distress and replacing every bloated cap I found on that board got it working again.

That was probably two years ago and the TV is still running. It's used in a local thrift store.

As such, quality is likely all over the map.

Quote:
You mentioned a "Wii accident" that can ruin these TVs. What harm can a Wii video game console do to the set? Do the consoles run the panel at such high brightness (much higher than normal video drive levels) that the entire video chain eventually burns out, or the panel itself is damaged or destroyed by image burn-in?
No. The Wii controllers themselves are the problem. They work by sensing motion and come with a wrist strap to keep them "under control". Sometimes people don't wear the retaining strap and a controller goes flying. At sufficient velocity, this can break the panel display.