Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

HDMI to RCA convertor.

I was looking for a convertor to use an HDMI output to what they call RCA outputs, which is left and right audio and video. The jacks on many of the older sets and on the modulators.
I saw one on line from China, but didn't know that it would be suitable. I actually bought one from Walmart that looked identical, but for more money.
I figured if it wasn't the right one, I could always return it. I found out that it works really well.
I ordered three one line. It comes with a USB power cable, but that all.
It turns out the Spectrum convertor has a USB power source.
Anyone else have experience with these?
Old 04-10-2020, 11:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Do you have a make & model # or even a photo? Otherwise, we can't really answer because there are many, many converters out there.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
Do you have a make & model # or even a photo? Otherwise, we can't really answer because there are many, many converters out there.
All it says on the unit is: HDMI 2AV. The same one that is listed on-line.
It has a NTSC/ PAL switch. I have to try it on one of my multi-standard TV's.
I have another one that converts HDMI to component video. YpBPr 1080 scaler. I picked up that one at a thrift shop, brand new in the box, but no information with it. It has a button on it that selects the operating mode.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I was looking for a convertor to use an HDMI output to what they call RCA outputs, which is left and right audio and video. The jacks on many of the older sets and on the modulators.
I saw one on line from China, but didn't know that it would be suitable. I actually bought one from Walmart that looked identical, but for more money.
I figured if it wasn't the right one, I could always return it. I found out that it works really well.
I ordered three one line. It comes with a USB power cable, but that all.
It turns out the Spectrum convertor has a USB power source.
Anyone else have experience with these?
The HDMI2AV works pretty well, I have been using one for years to match modern sources to obsolete TVs. Very cheap and effective.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
The HDMI2AV works pretty well, I have been using one for years to match modern sources to obsolete TVs. Very cheap and effective.
They stated that they would ship them and I would receive them April 14.
Sure enough, they were in the mailbox that very day. Less than $10usd each including postage.
Audiokarma
Old 04-24-2020, 11:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
One thing I found out recently. The HDMI2AV doesn't need any external power source, even though it has an input for one and a cable for a USB source. IDK if all HDMI sources have this capability, but mine all seem to have it.
I don't keep up with newer technology enough.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:50 PM
M is for Memory

I think I have one as well.... what bugs me about mine is the HDMI source has to be set to (or capable of automatically switching to) 480 resolution for the box to output a composite signal....I was hoping to connect the HDMItoAV box to one of the outputs of a HDMI splitter and have it display the same video as my HDTV also on that HDMI splitter....The thought was to have the HDTV display the signal in HD and let the HDMItoAV box create an NTSC version of the signal, but that doesn't work. The only way to make both run at once is to let the HDMI video source feeding the splitter run at 480 and force my HDTV to run at standard definition... which defeats the point of showing a program on 2 TVs 1 at HD and the other at NTSC.

I may have a workaround but that has its own issues I need to sort out...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-10-2020, 04:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi to All,
@Electronic M : Please have a look at the HD Fury product line :
https://www.hdfury.com/

Years ago (circa 2012), they manufactured a converter (HDMI/in ---> RCA + DVI out) capable of converting 1080i/p/ to analogue RGB/YUV-/Y/cR/cB with full definition. The HDCP "protection" to output SD-only resolution was ignored*.

*i wanted to use a BluRay Y channel in full HD to source a high-def signal to 819 lines to approximate our old French 819 line wideband video signal which is +/- 737 active video lines of resolution (8.75 MHz).

They were menaced of a lawsuit by the MPAA police to get a HDCP licence or die, so they complied.

The company is still in business today, so have a look at their products, read the Tech fine print & decide for yourself.

Best Regards
jhalphen
Paris/France
Old 04-24-2020, 12:17 PM
M is for Memory

Many sources do have a power source sent down the HDMI but some don't or it is current limited thus the external power input.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-25-2020, 01:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

I like the RCA DHCOMF HDMI -> NTSC converter.

I also have a Walmart HDMI2AV, I found out,
testing my Surround Sound system, that it
swaps the L and R outputs.

I use the RCA converter to downconvert the
output from my Magnavox 4K/UHD Blu-ray
player so I can watch my 4K/UHD Blu-rays
using my 19" CRT Sylvania/Funai NTSC TV
and my Pioneer Pro-Logic Surround Sound
receiver.

Kirk Bayne
Audiokarma
Old 04-28-2020, 01:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

I use this one. It works fine other than a bit of humming in the audio when the composite video cable is plugged in. Does anybody know a solution for this issue? The hum varies depending on the content or luminance levels of the composite signal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200428_213135.jpg (43.3 KB, 28 views)
Old 05-01-2020, 07:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

One thing I notice about HDMI to mustard/ketchup/mayo converters is that all the stores that carry them have blister card packages that have been stapled back together after a customer return.

I suspect that buyers return them when they don't hear any sound and/or see any picture.

I guess ALL HDMI is HDCP, meaning that no TV or monitor will display picture nor play sound when connected.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Grant View Post
One thing I notice about HDMI to mustard/ketchup/mayo converters is that all the stores that carry them have blister card packages that have been stapled back together after a customer return.

I suspect that buyers return them when they don't hear any sound and/or see any picture.

I guess ALL HDMI is HDCP, meaning that no TV or monitor will display picture nor play sound when connected.
I bought one at Best Buy and it was one that was marked down as an opened package. It was priced at $39.95. Open package was $35.00.
The reason it was returned is it worked very poorly. The audio was very weak on OTA reception and on my hard drive recorder, it had a loud hum.
I bought Walmart one and it worked a lot better for a lot less model.
I bought three on line which were exactly the same as the one from W/M for less than $10 each including postage. They work fine.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

I got one of the cheap ones from Walmart. It works, has HDCP and works with my Roku Premier.

https://i.imgur.com/JfFZmyB.jpg