Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2022, 12:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Rca ctc-118

My friend picked this TV up for me. It is a 1983 19" RCA with the CTC-118A chassis.

It had a shrunken vertical, frozen contrast and tint controls, tilted picture, and terrible focus. Just a pale blue picture. Tuners needed cleaning of course.

So, it still has its original main filter capacitor, at the back. It tested fine so I left it.

The customer controls responded very well to Faderlube, and the tube focused right up.

Bad 30 uF, 100v electrolytic fixed the vertical. The video output board was pretty well used and I reflowed the solder points on the output transistors.

So, another fine daily watcher. Made in USA, original RCA 19VLNP22 tube, the same type which was used in many other domestic brands at the time, including in arcade monitors.

This exact model is listed on the auction site for $300 ... That's a laugh; they'd be lucky to get 30-40 bucks for a clean example.

Going to whiddle down a piece of thin wood and epoxy a new control door on mine. The hinges are still there so it should be an easy job.

I'd honestly rather have the knob-tuned model of this set, instead of the model with remote and on screen display. I have one somewhere and it has erratic tuning problems due to the electronic tuning modules. Tedious to work on those; I just made sure all the grounds were solid and it ran for a few years before acting up again.

Last edited by zenith2134; 07-14-2022 at 12:08 PM.