Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:30 AM
RCA 741PCS

Ge 21c3461

A friend (VK'er raddios) just picked up this GE 21C3461 and stopped by on his way home with it. Here are a few photos I snapped a few photos out in the cold dark night.

Not only is it in great cosmetic condition, but it actually works fairly well.
Check out that huge speaker

Can anyone clue us in on this set ? Is power tuning an early remote control system ? I presume that's what the lower chassis is for

Old 02-07-2012, 02:03 AM
RCA 741PCS

Here's a closeup of the lower chassis.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Chasin roundies since '79

Boy, that brings back memories. My dad bought a similar one when I was 5 or so. I broke the channel-knob shaft (it was made of white plastic or nylon). It came with a remote that was reverse-painted on the top, very nice looking, with a keyboard along one side. It was so much fun pushing the channel buttons around the tuning knob and watching it rotate to catch up. The tuner drive made a thunk-thunk-thunk with a healthy 60 Hz motor sound resonating through the cabinet frame. When it got to the selected channel, the key popped out with a clack. It had a round speaker, IIRC.

I do remember it being troublesome, and my dad only kept it for about 3 years. I remember watching the show "Camouflage" every weekday in Portland during the summer of '62 on it before I'd go out to play with the othr kids. After we moved back to Seattle that fall, he sold it to a brother-in-law who used to use the phrase "it has a blue tube" a lot. Our next two sets were 23" Silvertones from the Sears store just blocks away.

Last edited by Einar72; 02-07-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Motorola Minion

RF remote control

That is one fine example of General Electric's "Coaxial" atomic age sets. The 9"x21" speaker and the RF remote are notable and unique features.

The remote control unit looks and operates similar to a garage door opener. Maybe some one has a memory of these receiving stray signals and coming on, changing channels, etc.

The CRT looks fairly good. I had a 21C3585 and now have the 21C3580 pictured below. The CRTs were soft on both.

I have the complete factory manual for this, PM me if interested.Attachment 173259

Nov 2011 034.jpgse

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 02-06-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:21 PM
RCA 741PCS

Thanks for the info. It would be neat to track down a remote control and get it working.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

$10,000...maybe

And you have the remote option! Well, part of it. Do I hear $15,000?

http://www.atomicwarehouse.com/more....0&categoryid=3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fjtv001.jpg (65.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 02-07-2012, 09:42 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
And you have the remote option! Well, part of it. Do I hear $15,000?

http://www.atomicwarehouse.com/more....0&categoryid=3
Perhaps he will get his prices if he shares what he is smoking with potential buyers.....

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-08-2012, 06:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

When I was a kid we had a 1958 B&W GE with power tuning. That was a wired system. The channel selector had thirteen buttons. Push your button and the thing clacked around clockwise stopping on your channel. Each button could be turned back and forth for individual channel fine tuning. My folks didn't buy the wired remote but I made one that changed channels, adjusted volume, and muted. It was not the greatest set and the pic tube went dim and got replaced after not long.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:46 AM
"Book em Dano!"

I love that oval speaker!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Motorola Minion

"Perhaps he will get his prices if he shares what he is smoking with potential buyers....."

That dude sure is wacky and his store is right down the street from where I work!

I went in there once and asked he wanted to buy some of my stuff, seeing his pricing and all. He only wants "flawless stuff" and would probably chew you down for a faded rear label, etc
Audiokarma
Old 02-08-2012, 11:22 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
When I was a kid we had a 1958 B&W GE with power tuning. That was a wired system. The channel selector had thirteen buttons. Push your button and the thing clacked around clockwise stopping on your channel. Each button could be turned back and forth for individual channel fine tuning. My folks didn't buy the wired remote but I made one that changed channels, adjusted volume, and muted. It was not the greatest set and the pic tube went dim and got replaced after not long.
What was your parents reaction to the home made remote? Were they impressed, skeptical, or ticked that some haphazard contrivance was plugged into their TV?

Quote:
DavGoodlin "Perhaps he will get his prices if he shares what he is smoking with potential buyers....."

That dude sure is wacky and his store is right down the street from where I work!

I went in there once and asked he wanted to buy some of my stuff, seeing his pricing and all. He only wants "flawless stuff" and would probably chew you down for a faded rear label, etc
Sounds like a somkin' loon.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-08-2012, 12:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've run into that guy at various sales now, and got to see what he pays for those items before he marks them up for his shop. He told me he has an entire warehouse with several hundred televisions that make up his own collection. He seems nice enough, but the way he does business seems insane to most people. But he DOES seem to sell stuff...
Old 02-08-2012, 01:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

He may be selling to interior decorators. If a client is burning through $300K (or whatever) to redecorate, $1K or $2K for a TV is nothing. Just another accent piece.

Phil Nelson
Old 02-08-2012, 06:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Funai,

He does seem to be selling some good looking radios on Harrisburg Craigslist from his collection. Still pricey but not outrageous.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/atq/2797017763.html

I'm near you and may take a ride out to HBG to see what his shop is all about.

And Phil, Harrisburg and interior decorators cannot be used in the same sentence. I have some very wealthy friends and not a radio in sight in the den. One friend did just sell his James Bond Aston-Martin for charity though. It was in his basement in it's own display room. $4 mil.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

There was a recent article in the local paper about the shop entering foreclosure proceedings. After that, he appears to have branched out to Craigslist. It is well worth reading the reviews about this store-I guess the owner can be a bit moody at times.
Audiokarma