Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

anyone get anything at kutztown?

That wild looking 1956 ge that looked like a clothes dryer was nice.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

I sold two TV's a Pilot TV37 and a Predicta 17". I DID buy an awesome 1933 Mende "Weltklasse" radio. Yeah yeah I know its not television, but it is still really awesome anyhow! Was a bit surprised nobody made me an offer on the original clear plexiglass DuMont sign I had out, but I'll get that up on eBay shortly.....
-George-
Old 05-15-2016, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Friend of mine went, so he picked up a few things for me....a TV analyst, a signal generator, a VTVM, couple other things.

I'm starting to scare myself because I'm finding myself drooling over boat anchors and test equipment lately
Old 05-15-2016, 12:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Friend of mine went, so he picked up a few things for me....a TV analyst, a signal generator, a VTVM, couple other things.

I'm starting to scare myself because I'm finding myself drooling over boat anchors and test equipment lately
Nothing wrong with that. Happened to all of us

George
Old 05-15-2016, 01:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

-----------------------------
We need more boatanchor collectors! Phil Nelson was one until he drifted over to the TV side. His boatanchor restoration articles are still some of the best out there!
Audiokarma
Old 05-15-2016, 01:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Connor View Post

-----------------------------
We need more boatanchor collectors! Phil Nelson was one until he drifted over to the TV side. His boatanchor restoration articles are still some of the best out there!
I got two boat anchors last Holiday Season (I can be politically correct and
accurate here since one was really truly for Christmas and one for New Year's.)

Really, its not a disease. Good ones are really fun. I got an SP600 and then an R390A. If you can restore a TV you can restore one of these. If you can restore both of these you can restore a CT-100. A Cossar 137T, maybe not.

The R390A is really fun to use!
Old 05-15-2016, 02:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

A good boat anchor is a National NC-173 and even better the NC-183 but either are nice.

Saw several sets and most sold or were sold already , a dumont ra-103d , 12" Zenith porthole leatherette , Crosley 7" , hallicrafters 7" , RCA 9-T-246 for $20 that was in great condition , a mid 50's Zenith 21" labeled " zenith old ass tv $30 " , a couple 17" predictas , emerson 7" , a couple 3" pilots , 7" motorola suitcase , others that i can't think of including some free ones which were a tele tone 17" , admiral 12" phono radio combo , zenith late 50's remote 21" table set .

Last edited by kramden66; 05-15-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Someone at Kutztown had both an NC-173 and an NC-183 out. Both looked very nice...

-George-
Old 05-16-2016, 08:34 AM
Administrator

I spent untold hours in front of an NC-188 growing up. Love to have one again.....
Old 05-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Motorola Minion

The DVHRC did not let me down. For $3 at the BIN table I got a 1957 Magnavox AM FM 6-knob tuner (w/o eye tubenot a CG) to match my AMP 182 chassis (quad 6V6)
There was a '60 or so 21" metal BW Zenith space command a the club's BIN table, went home with OSX who was there as it was winding down Saturday afternoon.
It was a NEAT old Zenith too - maroon goose-bump painted and he saved it from an unknown fate - then he dropped a 16" Pa-Made Westy table model w/stand (ETF auction) with stand and a Raytheon 16" with inducto-tuner console from Tim. I gave him my 21" Sylvania Sylouette project (farmhouse Barn find) set that had all the parts his needed. Good thing, that sylouette project was low on my list due to the sheer labor alone

I also picked up two CTC16 RCA chassis I need to trouble shoot for a two-combo owner from out on Long Island. So I did not get a TV there, anyways. Step 6 of 12?

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 05-16-2016 at 10:46 AM. Reason: add sylvania
Audiokarma
Old 05-16-2016, 12:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichsrundfu View Post
Someone at Kutztown had both an NC-173 and an NC-183 out. Both looked very nice...

-George-
NC-173 Was my 1st shortwave receiver. Weighed a ton but a super set.

-Steve D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NC-183.JPG (99.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-16-2016, 12:31 PM
Collector of heavy things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Come to the dark side...we have cookies...

(or, at least, really heavy radios)

Seriously, though, boatanchor radios are fun. Pretty sure I own at least a dozen of them, though some couldn't 'anchor' anything bigger than a small canoe. My very first tube radio was a Hallicrafters S-118, which was given to me by a relative. It was drift-prone, but did a decent job of picking up signals from around the world (once I figured out how to set up a decent antenna, anyway). Searching the internet for info on it brought me to Phil Nelson's site, which is when the bug really bit, and I soon started collecting tube radios in earnest.

Then, while in high school, I discovered that the electronics shop had both an R-390A and R-392 stored in the back room, though they wouldn't let me so much as power them up. After I graduated, I visited the shop from time to time, during which I found out that they were planning to move the shop to a different part of the building. Finally, during one of my visits, my old instructor asked me "Hey Adam, do you want these old radios?" I couldn't haul them to my car fast enough. It's been all downhill from there, in one way or another...
-Adam KB1YTN

Stereo: Pioneer SPEC-4, Pioneer SPEC-1, Kenwood KT-7500, Dual 1219, Nakamichi BX-100, Pioneer PD-M60, Paradigm Studio Monitors
Old 05-17-2016, 09:26 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Boatanchors, you say ? VERY addicting hobby... As bad-Or WORSE as anything you'll ever come in contact with... BUT, its also one of the few interests where you can procure yrself examples of an item that was as fine as money can buy. I can want me an 1886 Benz "Patent Motorenwagon", but the real world is, no matter how badly I want one, NO WAY could I ever buy/have one of 'em.. But, finding a good R-390, or 390A is relatively reasonable "Play-Pretty", and they were considered "The Best" when they were in service. .Let's not forget the ones that were/are pretty comparable to the mighty "Collins" sets-EG a RACAL RA-17, National NC-183D, Hallicrafters SX-73, Hammarlund SP-600, Rohde & Schwarz EK-07, etc..
Old 05-17-2016, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Um.....ya. I just got a huge load of test equipment this past weekend, which means I'm not gonna be looking for any boat anchors until I free up a little space. IF I free up a little space!! :P

Four scopes (a Tek 455, B&K 1460 and a 1476, and a Sencore SC61), a Tenma 72-1005 universal test center, an RCA TV Isotap, a B&K 2050 RF generator, an Eico 955 capacitor tester, a Heathkit IG-5228 dot bar generator, an RCA Volt Ohmyst, an Arkay 012 VTVM (already recapped that), an 8TS30 parts set, dozens of wirewounds, hundreds of 1/2 and 1 watt resistors (already sorted and put away ) , and RCA models WR-70A, WR-99A, and WR-69A. Plus another damn TV analyst, bringing that count to four

Oh, and plus thousands of RCA and Zenith factory parts still in bags and boxes. Ed and I already went through all of those, it took us close to three hours. More than half of the stuff was post 1990.

And my Kutztown stuff isn't even here yet. Holy hell......

Old 05-17-2016, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
Come to the dark side...we have cookies...
(or, at least, really heavy radios)
I laughed out loud when I read that!

I suppose I could get rid of the comfy sofa in my TV room to make space for a nice boatanchor bench.

Oh friggity frack.....