Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tuning buzz

Is there a way to get rid of the typical buzz in the audio in most old black and white sets. I have had it in other sets and was able to adjust it out from the upper and lower adjustments on the audio can but I have it on the pilot tv and the upper and lower adjustments on that set don't clear it. If I detune the video with the tune- agc the buzz will stop so would this be an alignment issue. Or would there be a way to filter this out.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Have you tried adjusting the sound trap (A-6 in the Sams) to minimize the buzz?
Turning the contrast down should help also.

jr
Old 05-21-2016, 09:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes the tuning upper and lower did very little and yes if I lower the contrast it helps a lot but of course it fades the picture more cloudy like and with a green tube it's just that much worse but it's ok I'll be fine with it after all it is very old and I'm happy it's back to life working at all, good sound and perfect picture is good. I found out why I could never get the screen to fill in on many of those previous posts is that it needed a diode on the 25z6 because the b+ just was not high enough even with NOS rectifier tubes so the diode cured that but still don't know exactly what the hv is because I think my probe took a dump but it's bright enough. Oh and yes the other I didn't look on the SAMs but the trap did little as well with the other, the later tv37 didn't have the one that this one has.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

http://antiqueradio.org/A-V_AdapterForVintageTVs.htm !!
Old 05-22-2016, 04:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel1981 View Post
Interesting, thanks
Audiokarma
Old 05-22-2016, 04:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Please note the caution. :

"Caution: This Admiral TV has a transformer-type power supply. If your television has a series-string (transformerless) power supply, then it's possible—depending on which way the TV's unpolarized power plug is inserted—for the TV chassis to be connected to the "hot" leg of the AC power line. To avoid damaging your external device, you should operate the series-string TV from an isolation transformer."

jr