Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Selenium Rectifier Question

I'm restoring a 1949 Emerson TV that has had some prior work done. As you can see from the pics 4 silicon diodes have been wired in. I can only pick up writing on one it appears to be an R170 which I believe is 2.5 amps / 1,000 volts. The soldering joints and connections look very well done. My concern is that they appear to connect in circuit with the existing 2 rectifiers instead of being detached? Also there is no additional resistor on the lines to the electrolytic's. I don't want to break it if doesn't need to be fixed? I'm a long way from putting this on a viac, I still need to replace numerous paper caps, electrolytic's and at least a couple tubes. Comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (85.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (67.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 05-27-2016, 10:33 AM
Administrator

I just read somewhere that it's perfectly acceptable to just place the diode across the Selenium rectifier, leaving it in the circuit, this is because Seleniums never short, they just go up in resistance until they fail.
As for adding resistance you'll need to get it running and check the B+ against the spec and adjust accordingly.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Selenium Rectifier

Thanks Eric!
Old 05-27-2016, 11:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Although some might consider it to be a "sloppy practice", I usually just bridge the seleniums with the diode... the original appearance is preserved and I have never had a problem.

jr
Old 05-27-2016, 12:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Do so at your own peril! Suggest you disconnect one side of each original selinium. Ask me how I know this...... It was not a pretty event.

George
Audiokarma
Old 05-27-2016, 12:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichsrundfu View Post
Do so at your own peril! Suggest you disconnect one side of each original selinium. Ask me how I know this...... It was not a pretty event.

George
OK, I'll play... how do you know this?

Inquiring minds would love to hear "the rest of the story"

jr
Old 05-27-2016, 01:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

The selenium would see the peak inverse voltage, and after a while it may not take it any longer, and then start to conduct and then fail...
Old 05-27-2016, 01:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichsrundfu View Post

George
Been there...DONE that...many years back. i had a Motorola tv, 12LP4 tube..I was only 15 at the time...and still learning. Someone had ALREADY bridges the seleniums with diodes. but one of them STILL was smoking and smelling. So...I lifted the diode from one leg of the sel..and all was ok..
Old 05-27-2016, 02:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

I always always lift one end of seleniums.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

thanks everyone, I'm going to go the safe route and disconnect a side from each. I really appreciate all the input on this!
Audiokarma
Old 05-27-2016, 06:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Although some might consider it to be a "sloppy practice", I usually just bridge the seleniums with the diode
So I guess ya can call me "Mr. Some" , cause I always fully disconnect them , leave them in place , and then run the wires to a terminal strip holding the diodes (and if used , the dropping resistor) Many times , the same screw that holds the selenium in can be used to piggy back the terminal strip right there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
The selenium would see the peak inverse voltage, and after a while it may not take it any longer, and then start to conduct and then fail...
Exactly
Old 05-27-2016, 06:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bridging a selenium with a Si diode does not mitigate the effect of reverse leakage in the selenium. Heating due to reverse leakage increasing is part of the failure mode (in addition to heating due to increased forward resistance). Always take the selenium out of circuit.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
Bridging a selenium with a Si diode does not mitigate the effect of reverse leakage in the selenium. Heating due to reverse leakage increasing is part of the failure mode (in addition to heating due to increased forward resistance). Always take the selenium out of circuit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
A compelling reason that I had not considered... thanks guys!

jr
Old 05-28-2016, 03:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Other then that they smell bad when they go sour.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:58 PM
Administrator

I've only replaced the Seleniums in a few sets, most of the time they still work satisfactorily.
I know there's a risk of a stinky failure but as often as they get used it's pretty low.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smelly.jpg (2.0 KB, 65 views)
Audiokarma