Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2015, 01:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Roundie sets don't put off better pictures than the solid state stuff from the late 1970s and early 80s or the current stuff... Roundie and tube stuff in general also wasn't as reliable.. I can say some of these 70s, 80s sets put off a better picture than some of these cheapo flat screens produced today... Now putting a roundie set side by side with a current flat screen depending on the image the sets are viewing I would say it can be comparable and may even look better with certain images..

Not knocking the roundies as I love to collect them and think they are neat, but they don't produce as good as a pic as the newer solid state stuff and current stuff.. I notice with roundie sets, a dark screen with a bright image in the middle effects the whole screen next to the bright image image.. A dark screen with white words you'll see the screen is darker next to them.. I don't know what you call that, but I think the resolution is not as high as when they started to make solid state stuff, with a VHS or Beta tape you'll notice at the end of a movie with credits you'll see the same effect on any TV..

I notice with roundie sets or even the early rectangle sets, Video tape does not look good on them, either a big bend on the screen and/or a black bar running across the screen

I look at old color programing from the 60s and even early 70s on any TV and notice the colors aren't as vibrant and very dull seeing how that was the technology at the time.. You take a color roundie and hook it to current television programing, I would say that the set is viewing current programing nicely compared to what it was viewing in 1965.. I wonder why that is, maybe the video cameras they were using in production in those times weren't great?

This Hitachi set from 1981 here in the pic below, I use as my daily set, I bought it back somewhere around 2010, and I have been running it pretty much non stop and it's still going.. Tho it's starting to show signs of problems.. When brightness is turn down a little one side of the screen is brighter than the other side, and it has snapped and popped a few times.. But hey 5 years of non stop running, I doubt a new set could handle that...

Last edited by tvcollector; 04-04-2015 at 02:42 AM.