Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:52 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Would be nice to get all the good stuff on DVD or digitized. Trick is in the conversion process. And good tape machines for playback.

Yes I remember now, had forgotten the Akai portable 7350 (?) that was linear stereo. Notice the dual L and R mic inputs on the front. I remember working on these. Seems I recall a lot of head drum motor problems. Had a tuner that matched, mono of course.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg akai-stereo-vcr.jpg (24.7 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 01-11-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:38 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I am proud to record and watch VHS regularly. My main VHS machine is a 1985 Magnavox VR8520SL01 Rebadged Panasonic, original idler tire, untouched Switch Mode Power Supply.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

We have a RCA VCR that my partner bought new in 78. He says he paid over $1,000 for it. While it isn't our everyday VCR it does still work, with the exception of the clock. We have over 500 VHS tapes and still buy them every now and then. Some we have gotten rid of for DVDs. There are some movies we have, that have not as of yet been released on DVD. We also have over 100 laserdiscs.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have several vcrs. My daily use is a Toshiba 6 head. i also have a jvc svhs and about 5 other decks. i keep about 300 vhs and still buy something every now and then. biggest problem is storage. I'm not a big fan of dvd but i do have quite a few. mostly for tv serires.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:15 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1
I am proud to record and watch VHS regularly.
Audiokarma
Old 01-25-2014, 01:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

I still use a VCR regularly. I have what I call Poverty Cable, $25 a month, which is about 20 channels including over the air, home shopping, Spanish etc. The only reason I still have it is becaus they haven't taken away Discovery Channel (new subscribers to this package don't get Discovery). I get no on demand, dvr, etc with this package so it's use a VCR, miss the show or stay home to watch it.

I also have a TV set up for DTV and I use another VCR to record and save my favorite METV shows.

I also find a VCR is handy as a tuner. My cable package has no box, just a cable to the TV. Fine for an 80's electronic tuner set, but knob tuned will only get to channel 13. So I run the cable throught the VCR first then channel up/down with it.

I also have quite a few movies on VHS.

I buy every working VCR with remote I see. usually for $5 or ten bucks.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by site123a View Post
Does anyone here still uses a VHS camcorder to record home movies (either full size or compact)?
I own a compact but haven't used it in years. Keep forgetting I have it actually. Just don't find the urge to record anything these days.

Al
Old 04-03-2014, 01:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Generally I'm digital but I still like to "fool around" with analog a lot.
I save a lot of videos on DVDR but occasionally like to use something with NTSC out to record videos I get online to VHS once in a while for the heck of it. And yes, I also sometimes watch/transfer recordings I find in stores/grandpa's house/etc.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

I still use mine daily.I dont trust the digital crap of DVR or DVD recorders.If the power goes out.Atlease I have some of the recording left to watch.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Vcr taprs have better pix quality than some dvds...Timothy
Audiokarma
Old 04-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Analogue is Awesome

SOME??

All in my opinion........ Digital is artifical crap that has ruined video and audio!!
Old 04-26-2014, 04:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictv80s View Post
Does anyone here still use the VHS format? What kind of VHS VCRs do you all have or want to have? How many VHS tapes do you have in your library? Anyone still use VHS to record?
Okay this is an old, old post but... yes I still use a VHS VCR since longtime and i use them yet. I have about a hundred and more VHS but its rare now that I record on a VHS..However, I have some movies that i keep and Watch on my old Zenith 1987...

Last edited by Marco-nix; 04-26-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not only do I still use VHS, but I also record my DVD's to VHS.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've got a last generation Mitsubishi D-VHS that I use for playback only. I have a ton of archived VHS from an obsessive trumpet player/collector friend from Norfolk, Va. (God rest his soul.) A ton of that stuff is now on YT. (Easy to download and occasionally in better quality) and a ton of it's not. (The reason for its taking up real estate in my system.) Ditto my Pioneer DVL-700. It neither eats nor drinks and gives all outward appearance of being easily maintainable....so.......for me it's let the good times roll....but not crinkle, or curl.....
Old 02-04-2015, 07:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

I suppose I'm a rather unique case, so I thought I would post. I got a laserdisc player in the early 90s, but quickly found that rentals were tough to find and I really didn't buy many movies at the time. It's still an awesome CD player though I got a new VHS VCR around that same time frame. In the late 90s, I was lucky enough to pick up a Sony SuperBeta from a thrift store, and happily switched to Beta at that point. I mainly used the VCR for tape delaying TV shows and to watch used movies found second hand, so I took advantage of Beta's better quality. My sister had terrible luck with VCRs dieing on her, so I gave her my VHS deck a few years later (though I've had several used machines over the years too). I bought a DVD player in 2001 and had very little VHS anything left for several years. After getting married in 2010, we now have my wife's VCR and VHS tape collection. I don't really record anything any more, so all 3 formats co-exist for playback of pre-recorded stuff. We've found that it's a little too easy just to watch something on Netflix, so now I'm trying a little harder to have a "retro movie night" every now and then when I hook up one of the tube TVs and watch a tape or laserdisc.
Audiokarma