Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Power boost Antenna

I have a power antenna where there power adaptor is by the set and it sends the power up the coax to the antenna. The question is if I want to run other tv's off the boosted antenna via a splitter, do I need a power device to prevent any loss caused by the other sets/coax cables?
Old 01-02-2017, 07:41 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

You only need to put the power adapter between the splitter input and the antenna (not between any splitter output and a TV). No additional power to the antenna is needed.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Antenna

Here is how it is wired now. Didnt know if the other tv's would break down the signal strength.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170103_090607344.jpg (31.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 01-03-2017, 09:34 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

A splitter always reduces the signal power to the outputs. This occurs whether the antenna is a powered one or not.

The concerns with your arrangement are:
1) if the splitter blocks DC, your power antenna won't get power (apparently your splitter doesn't block DC, if the power antenna is working)
2) if the splitter passes DC but has resistive elements, it may reduce the power to your antenna
3) if the splitter passes DC between all outputs and the input, it will reduce or short out the power to the antenna if anything on any output shorts out DC.

Best way to be sure none of this happens is to interchange the positions of the power supply and the splitter in your diagram. "Power to antenna" block should go between "splitter in" and antenna. The "power to antenna" device sends DC only on the antenna side and will not put DC on the splitter and TV sets.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:51 PM
Bob Galanter

Don't be a penny pincher, trying to do it on the cheap.

Buy a distribution amplifier like this. https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Maste.../dp/B001PI09SE

Connect the input of the distribution amp to the output jack on your antenna power supply. Then powers all your sets from the output of the distibution amp.

With a distribution amplifier, you will not have any signal loss. If a 3DB signal goes in, you will get a 3db signal on every output jack of the amp.

I use several of these in my system. I tried using standard splitters like you have first, and had huge signal loss causing pixelation. Then I started using these distribution amps and I get excellent signal strength to all 15 sets that I currently have wired in my display room. I use a powered UHF rotor antenna like you are probably using too.

Also see this page on my web site
http://antiquetvguy.com/WebPages/FAQ...%20Signal.html

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Audiokarma
Old 01-03-2017, 05:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Smile Antenna Booster

Bob is correct= The Channel Master DA is the best! You can order directly from Channel Master, as well as Amazon.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohyodafarted View Post
Don't be a penny pincher, trying to do it on the cheap.

Buy a distribution amplifier like this. https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Maste.../dp/B001PI09SE

Connect the input of the distribution amp to the output jack on your antenna power supply. Then powers all your sets from the output of the distibution amp.

With a distribution amplifier, you will not have any signal loss. If a 3DB signal goes in, you will get a 3db signal on every output jack of the amp.

I use several of these in my system. I tried using standard splitters like you have first, and had huge signal loss causing pixelation. Then I started using these distribution amps and I get excellent signal strength to all 15 sets that I currently have wired in my display room. I use a powered UHF rotor antenna like you are probably using too.

Also see this page on my web site
http://antiquetvguy.com/WebPages/FAQ...%20Signal.html
The only way you can get away using those Magnavox DTV convertors is that your location is so close to the transmitter sites. Out were I am, they're barely passable. I need, either a Zenith-Insignia or a Digital Stream.
My distribution amp is a Radio Shack, four output unit, a thrift-shop special.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:18 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The only way you can get away using those Magnavox DTV convertors is that your location is so close to the transmitter sites. Out were I am, they're barely passable. I need, either a Zenith-Insignia or a Digital Stream.
My distribution amp is a Radio Shack, four output unit, a thrift-shop special.
Yup, those Maggies are average at best. Out here a number of channels that a Zenith can get rock solid with just a mediocre indoor UHF loop the Maggies will struggle to get with a better bowite antenna, or outright not tune with the mediocre loop.

Where Bob's at if he had Zenith boxes he could probably dispense with the antenna system altogether, and get the same reception with a few inches of phone outlet hook up wire plugged into the center of the boxes antenna jacks...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-06-2017, 09:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Yup, those Maggies are average at best. Out here a number of channels that a Zenith can get rock solid with just a mediocre indoor UHF loop the Maggies will struggle to get with a better bowite antenna, or outright not tune with the mediocre loop.

Where Bob's at if he had Zenith boxes he could probably dispense with the antenna system altogether, and get the same reception with a few inches of phone outlet hook up wire plugged into the center of the boxes antenna jacks...
As usual, a clever observation by MR. Carlson!
The Maggies are bad enough, the RCA's are no prize either! And those GE camel-back jobs, forget it, unless you're living on east Capital drive.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:23 PM
Bob Galanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post

Once again you are speaking about something you personally know nothing about Tom. Your attitude seems to imply that you know my situation better than I do. That's nothing short of arrogant. I have lived in this house for 65 years, do you really think I don't understand the reception problems in my own home???

I have never been able to get decent tv reception, even back in the analog days because I actually live so close to the tower park that I am in the shadow of the towers. The signals are full of reflections due to aluminum siding on both my home and my neighbor's house who is between me and the towers.

Now for the real kicker. My house is aluminum sided and has a metal roof. The metal roof and aluminum siding attenuate signals to the point that I have to stand by a window to get 1 bar of signal strength on my cell phone. Cell phones are pretty much useless in my house.

1 mile NW of my house is another tower park where channel 12 and 58 broadcast from. I can't receive any of those signals at all due to the metal siding and roof. Currently my antenna is inside on the ceiling of the tv museum but I am considering relocating it to the outside to get a stronger signal without interference from the metal roof and siding.

I will take your word about the Magnavox box not having sensitivity as good as the Zenith. I have no experience with the Zenith boxes. However, in my situation the fact is that you can't get something from nothing. My Magie boxes work quite well if I connect only one box directly to the antenna. If I split the same minimal antenna signal, using a passive splutter, into 4 feeds to the converters, the signal drops too low to be of any use. Therefore a distribution amp is required.

The problem is not the Magnovox converter boxes, it is the Faraday Cage that I live in.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com

Last edited by ohohyodafarted; 01-08-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Audiokarma