Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

As far as refrigerators, my old Sears Coldspot I think it was, a late '70s model 17-18 cu ft avocado green color, separate freezer on top, pulled just over 4 Amps when it ran. The '97 Whirlpool 22 cu ft freezer on the bottom black monolith pulls less than an Amp, about 100 Watts actually, when it runs. So there was a significant difference between those two.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

There's nothing more disappointing or even depressing than encountering a non-incandescent light.

Our local (Aussie/Canadian-investor-owned) power company is at or approaching maximum capacity using nasty coal-fired plants and other sources to sell electric power to its customer base. They push Chinese Compact Flourescent lamps literally into your hands, hoping you'll use them, keeping the gotta-upgrade boogeyman at bay a few more years.

If everyone used hard-switched outlet strips on as many modern electronic devices as possible, you'd save enough energy to power a warm, freindly, soothing incandescent bulb by your favorite chair or bedside table
Old 05-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
As far as refrigerators, my old Sears Coldspot I think it was, a late '70s model 17-18 cu ft avocado green color, separate freezer on top, pulled just over 4 Amps when it ran.
Those units made in the 60s-early70s were the biggest energy hogs and, just like the cars, got WORSE in the later 70s.

My parents had a side by side 24 cu ft GE that was "Harvest Gold" when they built the house in '69 it lasted until 1995 with NO maintenance. It pulled 7 amps IIRC I hate to think how much energy that beast consumed during its existence

I strongly object to the notion that the oldest stuff is the most inefficient.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Just finished a Vizio 32 inch plasma. 277 watts draw on the watt meter. They have enough nerve to give it an energy star rating! I use a small dorm refrigerator in Mississippi that draws around 500 watts running. It runs on a 1200 watt generator if the power goes out. I defrost it once every two months.
And yes, I use a timer on a strip to turn off the electronics when I go to bed. Makes the capacitors in the power supplies last a lot longer!
I use a small incandescent for a downstairs light as I don't trust the CFL power supplies since one started flickering and when I broke it open the board was darkened from heat and the capacitors were bulged!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 View Post
Just finished a Vizio 32 inch plasma. 277 wattsdraw on the watt meter...
Therein is the #1 reason I do not have a plasma TV. TV is on here 15 hours a day or so, and a plasma would be expensive to feed.

I can make my 40" LCD use more power by turning up the backlight all the way to 5. Then it reaches 220W. Run backlight at 3 and power is about 90-100 Watts. Picture is plenty bright. In fact looks much better at a lower setting. However seems like most new LCD sets now use LEDs for the backlight, not sure about power usage with those.
Audiokarma
Old 08-18-2012, 10:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 View Post
Just finished a Vizio 32 inch plasma. 277 watts draw on the watt meter. They have enough nerve to give it an energy star rating! I use a small dorm refrigerator in Mississippi that draws around 500 watts running. It runs on a 1200 watt generator if the power goes out. I defrost it once every two months.
And yes, I use a timer on a strip to turn off the electronics when I go to bed. Makes the capacitors in the power supplies last a lot longer!
I use a small incandescent for a downstairs light as I don't trust the CFL power supplies since one started flickering and when I broke it open the board was darkened from heat and the capacitors were bulged!
I have a 10 YO. ,1.2 cu ft Sanyo dorm refridgerator, that only takes 71 watts running. I plugged into my Watt-Watcher. It does a great job keeping the adult beverages cold. It also has the condensor coils on the back, which is more efficient.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:09 PM
johnny the raster master!

[QUOTE=DavGoodlin;3036241]Those units made in the 60s-early70s were the biggest energy hogs and, just like the cars, got WORSE in the later 70s.

My parents had a side by side 24 cu ft GE that was "Harvest Gold" when they built the house in '69 it lasted until 1995 with NO maintenance. It pulled 7 amps IIRC I hate to think how much energy that beast consumed during its existence:

I strongly object to the notion that the oldest stuff is the most inefficient.[/QUOTE

SORRY thought you said you were agreing to it
you said i OBJECT
p.s. DONT MAKE IT MAD!

Looking for zenith cobramatic parts

-johnny the raster master!

Last edited by radiotron; 10-17-2012 at 02:21 PM.