Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:11 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceAge View Post
If it had been me that forked over 4 grand for the set with the good CRT, I would have attempted to buy both and assemble one good presentable unit from the two. The leftover set would be useful as a parts donor to keep the better example running, and for practice purposes for things like setup and alignment procedures. That said, I am happy such an interesting set went to a member here so that we all get to read about it. If they're still doing these conventions in a few years I might finally be able to go in 2022 or 2023..
Mine with the bad CRT was auctioned first. Whoever got the one with the good CRT would have had to find me after the auction and offer me enough to resell it... That also probably would not have been seen as a likely deal by anyone since I bid several other early color sets up to the 1-2k range before loosing....I could have also won the Admiral or Motorola if I had the guts to blow my whole TV budget.....Sad part was I was sure I had won the Admiral and the (apparently blind) auctioneer was looking at the guy behind me and ignoring me... I'm hoping for a smarter auctioneer next year.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-07-2018, 07:17 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Mine with the bad CRT was auctioned first. Whoever got the one with the good CRT would have had to find me after the auction and offer me enough to resell it... That also probably would not have been seen as a likely deal by anyone since I bid several other early color sets up to the 1-2k range before loosing....I could have also won the Admiral or Motorola if I had the guts to blow my whole TV budget.....Sad part was I was sure I had won the Admiral and the (apparently blind) auctioneer was looking at the guy behind me and ignoring me... I'm hoping for a smarter auctioneer next year.
Dave Abramson did an excellent job as the auctioneer IMO. He, Darryl, Steve K, and David Roper were dealing the best they could with the new auction format, and folks crowding around them while they were down on the left and right sides, while trying to keep things on schedule. I think they did a fine job. If Dave missed seeing you bid, as well as Darryl, and David who were also looking, I would blame the layout and the people squeezed in too close.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
Dave Abramson did an excellent job as the auctioneer IMO. He, Darryl, Steve K, and David Roper were dealing the best they could with the new auction format, and folks crowding around them while they were down on the left and right sides, while trying to keep things on schedule. I think they did a fine job. If Dave missed seeing you bid, as well as Darryl, and David who were also looking, I would blame the layout and the people squeezed in too close.
If you are not heard, blame yourself! I once was not heard ... so I stood up,
and started screaming. The ETF made a bundle on the resulting bidding battle.

This year, standing up would have made less difference, but a stentorion voice always will. "I bid 4 thousand six hundred dollars"

I suggest a rule that people keep at least 8 feet from the auctioneer, and don't block his view,
well enforced.

I was prepared for a bidding war on a really good 15GP22 ... but did not want another cabinet to take up space I don't have.

Last edited by dtvmcdonald; 05-08-2018 at 09:24 AM.