Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've bought wire from All Electronics. Modern wire usually doesn't have to be rated for 600V like tube electronics often does.
https://www.allelectronics.com/categ...e/cable/1.html
Old 04-04-2018, 08:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notimetolooz View Post
I've bought wire from All Electronics. Modern wire usually doesn't have to be rated for 600V like tube electronics often does.
https://www.allelectronics.com/categ...e/cable/1.html
Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I understand what I need now. That's exactly what I was hoping to read. Now I just need to order it and then get to work on the rebuild. Can't wait. Thanks again.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I finally got around to tackling this project. I simply cut out all the old electrolytics and soldered in the new ones. My beginner soldering job was kind of sloppy but apparently good enough for the electricity to pass through. I didn't even bother to rebuild the can. I was originally under the impression I would be cutting out ALL the capacitors which is why I found it so daunting. I was under the idea that film capacitors should be replaced. Set has been on for about 2 hours, no problems. During the first 20 minutes picture was occasionally jumpy. I guess it either wasn't warmed up or the settings weren't adjusted properly. This is a 1971 Zenith. Speaker is starting to get tinny, don't know where to go for that problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_120180420_182449.jpg (74.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 04-20-2018, 06:03 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by albanks View Post
I finally got around to tackling this project. I simply cut out all the old electrolytics and soldered in the new ones. My beginner soldering job was kind of sloppy but apparently good enough for the electricity to pass through. I didn't even bother to rebuild the can. I was originally under the impression I would be cutting out ALL the capacitors which is why I found it so daunting. I was under the idea that film capacitors should be replaced. Set has been on for about 2 hours, no problems. During the first 20 minutes picture was occasionally jumpy. I guess it either wasn't warmed up or the settings weren't adjusted properly. This is a 1971 Zenith. Speaker is starting to get tinny, don't know where to go for that problem.
If the bias voltages are good in the audio section, check different fine-tuning settings to see if any improve sound...If none are better tune for best pic then adjust the Buzz control for best sound.

The main difference between console and portable Zeniths is that the consoles have bigger chassis with more parts and room to work.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-20-2018, 08:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If the bias voltages are good in the audio section, check different fine-tuning settings to see if any improve sound...If none are better tune for best pic then adjust the Buzz control for best sound.

The main difference between console and portable Zeniths is that the consoles have bigger chassis with more parts and room to work.
OK cool I will definitely check that out. I wasn't sure if the speakers just didn't need to be reconed.
Audiokarma