Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Welp, gonna rescue another one

Picking up this GE on Saturday, I believe it's a 1941 or so. Looks VERY similar to my 1938 GE. It's been sitting under a covered carport for years, and still works fine. Best of all, it's free

My aunt and uncle had the same one. They bought it when they got married in 1939. It was in use untill 1986. It was a shame that it went to the scrap yard, when my uncle went to the nursing home.
That quiet, beefy compressor only ran 1800 RPM and they didn't beat themselves to death, like the newer 3600 RPM ones.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:30 AM
Motorola Minion

Thumbs down We ARE not amused by this story

At the beginning of this thread I posted a utility's PR firm promo for a mean spirited contest. This is the result. recylced 1938 ge.pdf
I have emailed the newspaper editor explaining how the point was totally missed here. we really need a contest for the biggest energy hog which could be a 1960s-vintage window AC or a 1970 GE side-byside 24cf Refrigerator like my parents had for 25 years before it was a victim of a kitchen remodel, still working. I would be INSULTED by a mere $250 check for a 1938 General Electric a working piece of history. I wonder how many WORKING pre-1955 units were sacrificed for the $35 the rest got.
For shame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
My aunt and uncle had the same one. They bought it when they got married in 1939. It was in use untill 1986. It was a shame that it went to the scrap yard, when my uncle went to the nursing home.
That quiet, beefy compressor only ran 1800 RPM and they didn't beat themselves to death, like the newer 3600 RPM ones.
Thanks for the (non-cfl) lightbulb moment Dieselljeep! I always thought these old timers sounded very different running. Lower speed, less heat, longer life.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 10-29-2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: amount change
Old 10-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Administrator

And working when the "recyclers" came to pick it up. Kind of like someone from the morgue pulling up to your house and asking you to get in a body bag

Turns out the GE I got is a 1941. It was sitting in the dirt on a covered carport-type thing for many years, and surprisingly, has no rust on it, even underneath. Good ole lead paint

I don't know why, but these things seem to come in sets . I'm picking up this old Kelvinator stove for $25 to save it from the scrap heap this week. It's going to go in place of the Chinese GE washing machine in my basement, that I'm giving to a friend

Old 10-29-2012, 09:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
At the beginning of this thread I posted a utility's PR firm promo for a mean spirited contest. This is the result. Attachment 176723
I have emailed the newspaper editor explaining how the point was totally missed here. we really need a contest for the biggest energy hog which could be a 1960s-vintage window AC or a 1970 GE side-byside 24cf Refrigerator like my parents had for 25 years before it was a victim of a kitchen remodel, still working. I would be INSULTED by a mere $250 check for a 1938 General Electric a working piece of history. I wonder how many WORKING pre-1955 units were sacrificed for the $35 the rest got.
For shame!

Thanks for the (non-cfl) lightbulb moment Dieselljeep! I always thought these old timers sounded very different running. Lower speed, less heat, longer life.
If you look at the nameplate on a GE, it's not a refrigerator but A " Refrigerating Machine ".
Of all the pre-60's refers, GE made the best.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

There are many of the GE 'football' compressors still running just fine today after 40 or so years. I have 2 of them. One in a side by fridge, and the other in an upright freezer. I've replaced the fans in both of these at least twice, and an occasional cleaning of the coils under there.

I had a 2001 GE fridge with a Panasonic compressor that died weeks after the warranty ran out at 5 years. Never a GE will cross paths with me again!
Audiokarma
Old 10-29-2012, 12:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello my first apartment had a stove like that one that is pictured and a ge fridge that was made in 1949 I wish I would have taken those with me when I bought My house but that was years ago.. good luck on your stove please keep us posted.... Timothy
Old 10-30-2012, 10:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
There are many of the GE 'football' compressors still running just fine today after 40 or so years. I have 2 of them. One in a side by fridge, and the other in an upright freezer. I've replaced the fans in both of these at least twice, and an occasional cleaning of the coils under there.

I had a 2001 GE fridge with a Panasonic compressor that died weeks after the warranty ran out at 5 years. Never a GE will cross paths with me again!
I picked a 1951 Hotpoint apartment sized fridge, as a freebee a few years ago.
It has a crazy looking compressor, that you can't hear run. It also has 11 oz of R12.
The reason it was tossed is because the gasket is deteriorated. I'm trying to make one up. They used to be available as a universal kit.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:32 PM
electronics packrat

In the mobile home I bought awhile back (1952 Detroiter) there's a 1941 Kelvinator apartment sized fridge in the kitchen. It still works fine. I'm still looking for a early to mid-50's apartment sized stove to install in it.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I picked a 1951 Hotpoint apartment sized fridge, as a freebee a few years ago.
It has a crazy looking compressor, that you can't hear run. It also has 11 oz of R12.
The reason it was tossed is because the gasket is deteriorated. I'm trying to make one up. They used to be available as a universal kit.
I re-gasketed my 1953 Kelvinator with a universal kit about 17 years ago, which still keeps the frost out. The curves required a bit of heat to re-form. For hard angles,cut it and miter the corners together, which I joined with a soldering iron.

I 'm sure these guys have a parts source. AntiqueAppliances.com
Old 11-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin
I have emailed the newspaper editor explaining how the point was totally missed here. we really need a contest for the biggest energy hog which could be a 1960s-vintage window AC or a 1970 GE side-byside 24cf Refrigerator like my parents had for 25 years before it was a victim of a kitchen remodel, still working.
In my opinion it doesnt matter how much of an ENERGY HOG it is... IT IS MUCH BETTER!!!!!

Its built better,it performs better than ANYTHING MADE NOW!!!!!!!! (Hands down)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri
Picking up this GE on Saturday, I believe it's a 1941 or so. Looks VERY similar to my 1938 GE. It's been sitting under a covered carport for years, and still works fine. Best of all, it's free
Wow she is beautiful my friend,I HOPE YOU CAN KEEP HER RUNNING FOR MANY YEARS!!
Audiokarma
Old 11-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Got it home, took the door and front off and brought them inside. Right now, it's in my garage, but for the heck of it, I plugged it in and it chugged to life......

You think TV collecting takes up room? Try working on vintage appliances. Holy hell am I getting packed in once again.....geez.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey lets see some pix of that vintage mobile home, does it still have the original tv and radio in side? let us see...Timothy
Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri
You think TV collecting takes up room? Try working on vintage appliances. Holy hell am I getting packed in once again.....geez.
Yes i reckon you are my friend BUT ITS REWARDING,makes one feel good inside when they are surronded by the garbage of today TO HAVE SOME GOOD STUFF ABOUT

Peace and love to you my friend!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Well yes, but come get some of mine. And bring a truck and friends
Old 11-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Born in the wrong decade

My friend just had his appliances tested for power usage and his 1956 freezer was more efficient than his 2 year old frig........go figure!
Audiokarma