Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 04-07-2018, 02:28 PM
etype2's Avatar
etype2 etype2 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Posts: 848
Steve,

Show us some screenshots. :-)
__________________
Personal website dedicated to Vintage Television https://visions4netjournal.com
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 04-07-2018, 02:32 PM
benman94's Avatar
benman94 benman94 is offline
Resident Lunatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
Ben, What you say is so true. I do cross my fingers every time I turn on my CT-100. It's due for it's monthly test run and will be crossing my fingers, again, this afternoon. Hopefully your 15GP will also crackle on and once again emit sparkling tints & hues.

-Steve D.
I think the entire experience of owning a set with a good 15GP22 can be summed up in two words: cautious optimism. Last night reminded me why I was so happy to pass on my CT-100 to John, but the Westy will be with me for the long haul.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 04-07-2018, 07:40 PM
Steve D.'s Avatar
Steve D. Steve D. is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hollywood Hills, Ca.
Posts: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post
Steve,

Show us some screenshots. :-)
Hey Marshall,

Here are some screen shots I took of the 2018 Rose Parade.

-Steve D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1270 (1).jpg (97.6 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1252 (1).jpg (102.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1263 (1).jpg (97.4 KB, 94 views)
__________________
Please visit my CT-100, CTC-5, vintage color tv site:
http://www.wtv-zone.com/Stevetek/
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 04-07-2018, 07:45 PM
etype2's Avatar
etype2 etype2 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Posts: 848
Good stuff! The set looks brand new with the tag hanging down.

Ben, Much success on the Westy.
__________________
Personal website dedicated to Vintage Television https://visions4netjournal.com
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 04-08-2018, 02:31 PM
benman94's Avatar
benman94 benman94 is offline
Resident Lunatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,124
And with that, the chassis to the Westinghouse is on the way to Maryland, where Nick will complete a full electrical restoration.

I have asked Nick to document the restoration of the set as much as possible on this thread.

I have complete faith in his ability to bring this set back from the dead. Thank you again for agreeing to restore the set Nick, I really, really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #81  
Old 04-10-2018, 09:07 PM
miniman82's Avatar
miniman82 miniman82 is offline
First Light: 1952-2011
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Great Mills, MD
Posts: 4,119
It's already making my ass hurt lol, that was one hell of a weekend trip. Tim P, how do you do it!

1200 miles later, everything that was picked up at the museum is now safely back in my garage awaiting work. I have here all the CRT rebuilding machinery I picked up in LA (check the rebuilding forum for details on that), and a Westy chassis eagerly awaiting my technical know-how. In the months to come I will be posting a lot of pictures and documenting what I'm doing, people rarely get a chance to see this deep into a Westy chassis so it's a good opportunity to catch a glimpse of the inner workings of a Unicorn.

Ben, do you have a picture hosting site I could have access to? I'd put them up on my site but it's not really where they belong, and I wouldn't be able to promise you they would be there for the future anyway. Ideally if I had access to your favorite host (even if only at the FTP level), it would allow me to make quick updates to the thread because I wouldn't have to email you pics and wait, and you'd also be able to archive them from the host any time you want. I realize that's a lot of trust, but I already have your chassis so...

Promise I'll keep the naked midget pole dancer uploads to a minimum. lol
__________________
Evolution...
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 04-10-2018, 10:54 PM
Steve D.'s Avatar
Steve D. Steve D. is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hollywood Hills, Ca.
Posts: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
The ad for the lost 19 incher:
Ben, Here are some additional Westinghouse 19" color items. The first 2 are from the dealer catalog book. The 3rd is a magazine ad.Not sure if you have these or not?

-Steve D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1954 Westy clor #1 (1).jpg (142.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 1954 Westy clor #2 1 (1).jpg (137.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 1954 Westy clor #3 (1).jpg (113.2 KB, 39 views)
__________________
Please visit my CT-100, CTC-5, vintage color tv site:
http://www.wtv-zone.com/Stevetek/
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 04-10-2018, 10:59 PM
benman94's Avatar
benman94 benman94 is offline
Resident Lunatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
Ben, Here are some additional Westinghouse 19" color items. The first 2 are from the dealer catalog book. The 3rd is a magazine ad.Not sure if you have these or not?

-Steve D.
The first two I had seen, though I can't remember where. The third one is the most interesting to me, and is new to me. We now have a newspaper ad and a magazine ad. I bet Westinghouse actually started building and selling those suckers...

Thank you Steve!
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 04-10-2018, 11:07 PM
benman94's Avatar
benman94 benman94 is offline
Resident Lunatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
It's already making my ass hurt lol, that was one hell of a weekend trip. Tim P, how do you do it!

1200 miles later, everything that was picked up at the museum is now safely back in my garage awaiting work. I have here all the CRT rebuilding machinery I picked up in LA (check the rebuilding forum for details on that), and a Westy chassis eagerly awaiting my technical know-how. In the months to come I will be posting a lot of pictures and documenting what I'm doing, people rarely get a chance to see this deep into a Westy chassis so it's a good opportunity to catch a glimpse of the inner workings of a Unicorn.

Ben, do you have a picture hosting site I could have access to? I'd put them up on my site but it's not really where they belong, and I wouldn't be able to promise you they would be there for the future anyway. Ideally if I had access to your favorite host (even if only at the FTP level), it would allow me to make quick updates to the thread because I wouldn't have to email you pics and wait, and you'd also be able to archive them from the host any time you want. I realize that's a lot of trust, but I already have your chassis so...

Promise I'll keep the naked midget pole dancer uploads to a minimum. lol
I trust you completely Nick. I wouldn't have sent a "unicorn" home with someone I don't trust lol

My three biggest concerns with this restoration were:
  1. Finding someone competent, with experience with a 15 inch chassis
  2. Finding someone I trusted
  3. Finding someone that is "type A" when it comes to horizontal setup and HV setup. Unlike some idiots, I like to run my HV sections at spec, and not at some random voltage pulled out of my ass...
You're the first person that came to mind that ticked all three boxes.

I just recently registered a new domain for a website I'm intending to build, detroitvintagetv.com, in the same vain as Phil's Old Radios site or Bob's Antique TVs. I now have a collection with a large enough number of oddities to warrant such a site. Document the sets, their restoration, etc. I should have the web-server set up by tomorrow afternoon, Thursday afternoon at the latest, and will forward FTP information to you at that point.

Last edited by benman94; 04-11-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 04-11-2018, 04:12 PM
roundscreen roundscreen is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: buffalo ny
Posts: 377
Why would some one, Not set up the horizontal circuits properly ? Do they want to burn up the Fly back transformer?? No make sense.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #86  
Old 04-11-2018, 05:03 PM
benman94's Avatar
benman94 benman94 is offline
Resident Lunatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundscreen View Post
Why would some one, Not set up the horizontal circuits properly ? Do they want to burn up the Fly back transformer?? No make sense.
I chalk it up to the Dunning-Kruger effect. A weekend warrior with a soldering iron that thinks he knows better than the engineers that designed the set.

On another note, the registration on the domain name finally went through today. Yay! So I'll be finishing coding the server in Go! tonight and creating a simple placeholder webpage.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 04-11-2018, 09:25 PM
miniman82's Avatar
miniman82 miniman82 is offline
First Light: 1952-2011
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Great Mills, MD
Posts: 4,119
Awaiting FTP links!
__________________
Evolution...
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 04-11-2018, 11:48 PM
benman94's Avatar
benman94 benman94 is offline
Resident Lunatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Awaiting FTP links!
Just waiting on my hosting service... I decided not to try and host it at home. Charter is a real pain in the ass when it comes to TOS violations.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 08-29-2018, 02:35 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 10,076
How is the resto going? I'd imagine Nick must have it working better after close to 5 months of it sitting on his work bench.
__________________
Tom C.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ęCopyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.