Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

ctc16xl roundie

hi all just picked up an rca new vista roundie with the swivle base, really nice. has a new crt dated november 1982 and tests great but it needs the 2 thermistors, one for the degauss i think and the other i think the b+. does anyone have a copy of the schematic or know what year this chassis came out, 65 or 66?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

The bigger one is a vdr, the smaller one is a thermistor. I use CL90 to replace the thermistor which is usually what goes bad. You can Google CL90 and find it online for a few dollars.

I can email you the pdf of the 16x. Anything for my timmy
Old 07-19-2012, 12:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

So you picked up that set that was being discussed in the "curbside" thread....good for you!! It's been saved.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:25 AM
"Book em Dano!"

1965 for that set. I have the same set. You can jump the 2 leads on the thermistor for testing purposes but should be replaced some time soon. It is not on the B+ bus, it is on one leg of the AC line. Congrats, those are good and reliable sets.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
The bigger one is a vdr, the smaller one is a thermistor. I use CL90 to replace the thermistor which is usually what goes bad. You can Google CL90 and find it online for a few dollars.

I can email you the pdf of the 16x. Anything for my timmy
what is the bigger one for, vdr? that would be great if you can email me a copy , the email is , timshawe@yahoo.com
Audiokarma
Old 07-19-2012, 06:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty59 View Post
So you picked up that set that was being discussed in the "curbside" thread....good for you!! It's been saved.
this set was on craigslist here in ny and was 2 hrs from me and was an estate sale.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
1965 for that set. I have the same set. You can jump the 2 leads on the thermistor for testing purposes but should be replaced some time soon. It is not on the B+ bus, it is on one leg of the AC line. Congrats, those are good and reliable sets.
It is in the B+ line and the X is later, 66-67.

The VDR is in series with the degausing coil and is there because it has a sharp cutoff. It almost totally removes the current from degausing coil because the voltage never drops to zero across the thermistor. Otherwise you would see weird color bars and noise. Think of it like a relay that disconnects the degusing coil when the thermistor gets hot.

If you fire it up just make sure you keep feeling the electrolytic cans, if one starts getting hot, pull the plug and let it cool off. They like to leak in these rcas but they do reform and wake up.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
It is in the B+ line and the X is later, 66-67.

The VDR is in series with the degausing coil and is there because it has a sharp cutoff. It almost totally removes the current from degausing coil because the voltage never drops to zero across the thermistor. Otherwise you would see weird color bars and noise. Think of it like a relay that disconnects the degusing coil when the thermistor gets hot.

If you fire it up just make sure you keep feeling the electrolytic cans, if one starts getting hot, pull the plug and let it cool off. They like to leak in these rcas but they do reform and wake up.
i thought roundies were done by 67 but oh well maybe this was the last made who knows. so ill have to find the vdr for the degauss being its there so i might just as well use it but the old one was burned really bad. its a model GG637 W.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

They made roundies into the early 70s. They were cheap buget sets by then. Yesteryears crap.

How's the fly look and smell. These have a rep for eating flys and the direct replacements are hard to find. You can sub a bunch of stuff in there though. You have a used one right?
Old 07-19-2012, 08:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm sure you can get the thermistor and vdr from moyers. They come together on a card by workman. Ill scan the sams in a few hours.
Audiokarma
Old 07-19-2012, 08:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

well i dont have another fly it has hv now but all the wax from the donut is out and the rubber cover is loose because no wax is left. i asked moyers about the cl90 one time and he had no idea what i meant but ill try again. and ill be looking for another flyback. i just missed one on ebay also.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

If your calling moyers forget the cl90. Tell him you need the vdr thermistor pair. If the fly is working leave it alone. It may last forever like that.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

ok ill do that about the pair if they have it. and the fly i wont change it but it may be a good idea to have a spare. i have a spare ctc16 clone fly but it is somewhat different.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

That set is called "FARRELL", thats its name. Make sure you address it as such
Old 07-19-2012, 11:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Farrell????????????????????
Audiokarma