Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2005, 07:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Colourizing B&W shows

Hi all. I've noticed in recent years there's been digital colourization of B&W shows and movies. Recently I've caught the arse end of the pilot of Gilligan's Island which was in colour and firstly I was fooled to believe it was originally filmed in colour but after about 10 seconds of watching I noticed the skin tones looked pretty monotone (one colour) and the monotone green of the vegetation was a dead giveaway that this show was originally B&W and has been digitally colourized. Another example was the Supremes "Come See About Me" performance on Ed Sullivan show 1964 which I initially thought was originally colour but now I know is definitely B&W and been colourized which they did a great job on the skin tones of the Supremes but Ed Sullivan looked fake with the single skin tone, and the black haloing is another dead giveaway as TK-41s generally give violet/mauve halos. Also I've seen a 40s film think entitled "Christmas In Conneticut" which the colour job didn't look as realistic as Gilligan's Island.

Anyways I was wondering if there's been attempts to colourize B&W videos or kinescope films of the 50s?

Cheers
Troy