Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:06 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

DVD spindle platter rubber

I have a Panasonic DMR-E20 in which the rubber grip ring on the spindle platter is worn out. I tried cleaning it, no difference. It seems like something I could easily get a replacement for but no dice so far, I've only found entire motor/platter assemblies. I peeled off what was left and cleaned the platter, then threw it back together to see what would happen as I was unable to find anything I could use to mock up a temporary replacement. The player had a particularly hard time spinning up my Star Trek DVDs; I wasn't totally surprised when one caught almost instantly although rather noisily without the ring. Once it gets up to speed it smooths out. Of course I want to fix it properly as soon as possible to prevent long-term damage to the disc hubs, so does anyone know where I can get thin adhesive-backed rubber rings? I've tried every search string I can think of.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:43 PM
The Resident Brony

Why not get an adhesive-backed rubber sheet / pad / wide strip? And cut a ring out of it. You'd have to make a fairly accurate cut... I suppose you could use an old pill bottle or other cylinder shaped object as a cutting guide.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:40 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I had thought of that but it seems suitable rubber sheets are not available locally. Good call on the cutting guides though, I figured I would end up cutting something but hadn't figured out how to do it accurately. I found 36mm-wide hockey tape, if nothing else comes up I'll try that. Looks like the original ring had a topcoat of some kind, most of which is gone.