Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

unknown glass radio

I was looking for parts for this radio for a few years and I finely found one close enough. Since this is a glass radio I wanted the part to look right. Well after many hours of scratching my head on why the new part was not working I had a brain storm. It finely started working. I've only had the radio for 15 plus years. I bought it at a garage sale for 5 bucks with another radio. If anyone can identify it that would be greatly appreciated. I think I may know what brand it is but I would like your input.

http://youtu.be/xC5HG7BKw8Q
Old 03-16-2014, 07:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like a fish tank converted to a radio. I've heard of people converting TV sets to fishtanks...
Old 03-16-2014, 08:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

I can't identify the radio... but could you tell us the source of the music, I know I have heard that before somewhere.
jr

Add: I'm guessing an Irish singer, perhaps Dolores Keane.

Last edited by jr_tech; 03-16-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added guess
Old 03-16-2014, 08:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks interesting, but it must get pretty hot in there.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

I imagine those are all 01-A tubes so maybe not so hot inside. There were a few glass radios made in the twenties and this is surely a typical twenties TRF. If no one I.D's it here try at Antique Radio Forum where there are a lot of collectors of sets of that era.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Audiokarma
Old 04-01-2014, 07:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

I wonder if it was a homemade radio and someone made a glass case to show off their skills at the "new medium" in the 20s? There were a lot of kits made in the 20s. If you can ask someone like Alan Douglas or Ron that has the Radio heaven museum they probably can tell you more. Both are sharp on the older radios.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

It is almost certainly home made and probably more recently though from old parts. I have seen a number of these made to show off the operation of the parts and tubes.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy3486 View Post
I wonder if it was a homemade radio and someone made a glass case to show off their skills at the "new medium" in the 20s? There were a lot of kits made in the 20s. If you can ask someone like Alan Douglas or Ron that has the Radio heaven museum they probably can tell you more. Both are sharp on the older radios.
When I picked up my first RCA Prison-vision, someone asked me if it was a demonstration set, to show the buyer, the workings of the set. I told him what it really was!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

The radio was made in 1926. I believe it is a browning drake witch made kits you could buy. The person who made it decided it looked better in glass. It had the name of the person and date on it who made it. I bought it at a garage sale for a dollar. It did have a wood back and wood top. The front glass was cracked. I replaced the front glass then thought it would look better with the back and top glass also. I spent many hours drilling holes and breaking glass. I did save the original pieces.