Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-28-2024, 05:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi guys! I have been lurking on this forum for years but I finally joined just to post on this thread.

I recently picked up a Sony XAV-u50 with diversity unit from Japan through Buyee, no cables included. Of course shortly after I bought it a complete kit came up for sale but it was a bit to pricey at around $250 + shipping international.

I'm coming here to ask if anyone could share some information on getting these up and running. I plan on making a ribbon style MDR cable for testing (same type as you find in old PCs) because it ends up being cheaper that way, although I'm concerned about how much current that flat ribbon can handle...

I need a way to power the diversity unit, and would like to find the matching connector with all the speaker outputs, if anyone has any info on that like pics of the OEM connector or the pinout, I'd really appreciate it. Finally, should I bother trying to re-cap this thing before I attempt to power it on? I did a visual inspection and there's no signs of leakage on my unit.

Ultimately my plan is to install this in a 90s JDM car and hook up something like a raspberry pi as a way to play old tv shows or even emulate some old games. But for now I just want it working on display in my house.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinorhino View Post
picked up a Sony XAV-u50 with diversity unit
Nice. Congrats.

Quote:
a complete kit came up for sale but it was a bit to pricey at around $250 + shipping international.
Didn't see that one come up. Have a link?

Quote:
I need a way to power the diversity unit
I used an atx power supply for repair/testing.

Quote:
would like to find the matching connector with all the speaker outputs

Quote:
should I bother trying to re-cap this
Got 6 diversity units and 8 or 9 of the displays, most xav-u50's. Every one required recaps.

pins 1-4 are 12v+ 14-17 gnd on display board.

There should be 2 void Vias masked as GND and ACC between the fuse and the connector joints. Can solder in wires to provide the power through those just to the display.
Old 02-07-2024, 06:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks so much! I don't have the link unfortunately I recall it sold pretty fast.

I just opened up the one I have and unfortunately it looks like something blew up inside, everything on the right side (around the flyback) is covered in black soot. It smells like nothing. I haven't dug in to inspect yet but I'm already assuming this is gonna have to be a parts unit. When I received it it was filthy, lots of black dirt coming off the outside when I cleaned it. I guess its also possible dust would be attracted to the high voltage components but IDK.
I'll keep my eye out for another I guess. My diversity unit seems just fine, no leaky caps either.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tHt...fCYj35mDr/view