Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:07 PM
M is for Memory

If only I had a couple of thousand and lived on the east coast

If the ecconomy gets worse and prices drop who knows, maybe I'll be able to get or piece together a merrill on my shoe-string collecting budget.

Tom C.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

East coast won't help you much on this one...
Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 PM
M is for Memory

OOPS! That is one of the worst typos I've made yet.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I heard through the grapevine that the seller accepted an offer for slightly less than the intial bid and that it will be picked up today.

I'll let the people who are more directly involved post the full details because after stories get passed along sometime things get muddy.

John
Old 05-05-2011, 10:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, one thing I can say is that it is not me. Thought I should clarify that since I am geographically close and was at least ever so slightly interested if the price had gone a lot lower.
Audiokarma
Old 05-05-2011, 10:25 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

If so, it wan't me. He didn't reply to any of my messages. Hope one of us gets it though!
Old 05-06-2011, 03:26 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

It's HEEEERE!

I am the guy who made a deal to buy the CT-100 after no one bid on it. I could not afford to spend the opening bid amount, so I made a deal for a lower amount that was acceptable to the seller, and I picked up the set tonight.

Details:
-The front panel insert is not #472, but is #733, 753, or 793. It has had some holes drilled in its inside surface to make room for the shafts of some replacement pots that were added, and one of them is through part of the stamped number. Two of the original dual-shaft pots have been replaced by a total of four new pots, visible in a picture that I will post later.

-Some work was done on the HV section. A solid-state replacement was installed for the 3A3 rectifier; it later went bad and a tube was put in again. Another tube was replaced by a solid-state diode as well, apparently; I will investigate further. I will post a picture later.

-The set has a temporary back panel that is from a Zenith Service-Saver TV. Again, a picture will follow.

Here is my first try at inserting a picture. Please let me know if the size is appropriate.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."

Last edited by ChrisW6ATV; 01-15-2017 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Updated picture location
Old 05-06-2011, 07:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Congratulations on the acquisition!

I understand that someone tried to test the CRT. Any word on the results?

John
Old 05-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I HOPE the CRT's good, but even if it ain't, just to HAVE a CT-100 is sumpin' pretty special, in my book...Congrats !
Old 05-06-2011, 12:03 PM
M is for Memory

This is purely conjecture on my part, but I think the restorer might have installed that SS HV diode as a easy way out of fixing a bad HV fillament winding on the fly.

Congrats!

Tom C.
Audiokarma
Old 05-06-2011, 12:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you could post the information about the cabinet refinishing that was done by one of the previous owners that would be great.

I'm really glad this went to someone local to it and didn't have to travel across the country again!
Old 05-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Thank you all for the nice comments. The CRT test showed no emission in the test apparently, but I do not have enough details to know how exact or complete the procedure was. It was with clip leads onto a few of the CRT pins (as you would expect; I doubt there are any CRT testers with a socket for the 15GP22), and I do plan to do further testing. I have a B&K 467 CRT tester but I do not have the "universal adapter"-but this is an excuse to get the parts and make one!

I am waiting to get details of the cabinet refinishing. It is indeed a lighter color than the un-refinished areas on the edges, but it looks very nice overall.

Here are a few more pictures:

Inside of front panel insert.

Front controls, with extra potentiometers to replace original concentric ones (in right-side area).

Zenith(!) temporary back cover.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."

Last edited by ChrisW6ATV; 01-15-2017 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Updated picture location
Old 05-07-2011, 12:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey, the cover keeps the cats out! Or other nosy critters.

Is that a Westinghouse electric range on the right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
Thank you all for the nice comments. The CRT test showed no emission in the test apparently, but I do not have enough details to know how exact or complete the procedure was. It was with clip leads onto a few of the CRT pins (as you would expect; I doubt there are any CRT testers with a socket for the 15GP22), and I do plan to do further testing. I have a B&K 467 CRT tester but I do not have the "universal adapter"-but this is an excuse to get the parts and make one!

I am waiting to get details of the cabinet refinishing. It is indeed a lighter color than the un-refinished areas on the edges, but it looks very nice overall.

Here are a few more pictures:

Inside of front panel insert.

Front controls, with extra potentiometers to replace original concentric ones (in right-side area).

Zenith(!) temporary back cover.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

keep us posted please at least a several times on your progress for restoration. Pics always keeps it interesting. A few months ago someone else did awesome thread and showed great working pics off a jig to show their progress of producing a functional set. It was a 15" set from another maker. Detailed posts really keeps interests in these rare sets alive. Many of us wont have chance to own one, great when collector shares experience of finding such a set.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyurkon View Post
Hey, the cover keeps the cats out! Or other nosy critters.

Is that a Westinghouse electric range on the right?
The stove is a gas O'Keefe & Merritt model 9100-1. It came with the house when I bought it in 1989. Recently, I did a complete cleaning job on the stove and probably got it the cleanest it has been since it was new. Those old stoves, like many other items from the past, were really built well.

Audiokarma