Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

When my brother went to buy his first new truck the dealership told him that the rear bumper was not included with the truck his face turned beet red whenthey said that a bumper was an option so whats up with that
Old 04-03-2014, 08:37 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
I do agree KV, someone ran into the wife's 91 accord with a NEW nissan stanza and the honda popped off a string of plastic bumper rivets, the nissan had to be towed away.... Nissan front to honda rear hit. Wife's car was at the gas pumps parked as she went in to pay. Nissan guy pushed the wrong pedal, hit it at about 5-6mph from 10 feet away?? I donow I was not there, as described to me, the nissan was leaking a few fluids, and freon.... Plastic was all over the parking lot....
The 1991 Honda Accord, there's a car I almost never see around here. I do recall seeing a wagon version a little while back though, not sure if it was a '91 but it looked the part. Even though they have such a good rep for reliability, people around here keep buying the latest models, probably just to show off. Seems that most of the handful of older cars I see tooling around here are full-size 1980-85 Oldsmobiles.

Last edited by Jon A.; 04-03-2014 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-04-2014, 01:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimeisfun View Post
When my brother went to buy his first new truck the dealership told him that the rear bumper was not included with the truck his face turned beet red whenthey said that a bumper was an option so whats up with that
I saw a few S-10's, without rear bumpers. They weren't much of a truck, anyway.
Way back in 1982, I needed a truck. I priced a pickup and I found that the spare wheel and the rear bumper was optional. IIRC, the chromed front bumper was also an option. NUTS!
Old 04-04-2014, 10:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

They may have finally gotten away from optional back bumpers-at least I haven't seen one in a while, though it used to be very common. Nowadays it's hard to find a plain-jane model even if you want to. Increasingly, power windows & locks are standard.

I don't know the details about Japan's rules but they must be about the most strict in the world. It is very, very difficult to drive an older vehicle, from what I've read. Remember, too, that there are a huge number of cars made in Europe/Asia that don't meet US standards. One issue is that different nations often have different but similar regulations, and for lower volume models it isn't worth the cost of certifying everything.

I can tell you this: out of all the mechanical/electrical issues we see at work, most are on GM products. Just all kinds of electrical/electronic glitches, and increasingly the only solution is to send the customer 20 minutes down the road to the nearest dealer.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:24 PM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

I own 3 cars, none of which has an automatic transmission. One is a 53 year old VW bus, the second is a 48 year old VW type 3 Fastback, and the third is a 2012 Fiat 500 that I use to commute to work in. Never have major problems with any of them.

I read recently that cars with manual transmissions are many times less likely to get stolen. The reason?....the young car thieves don't know how to drive a car with a manual transmission.
Audiokarma
Old 04-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Not sure how I got here.

yah.... being stupid should be very painful....
Old 04-05-2014, 08:05 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
The 1991 Honda Accord, there's a car I almost never see around here. I do recall seeing a wagon version a little while back though, not sure if it was a '91 but it looked the part. Even though they have such a good rep for reliability, people around here keep buying the latest models, probably just to show off. Seems that most of the handful of older cars I see tooling around here are full-size 1980-85 Oldsmobiles.
There are about 5 in our crappy little town, and I have talked to about 3 of the owners, and they have all had one before the one they have now.... And each tell the same story, over 400K with no trouble, so they got another. And the funny thing is, they use it to commute 50+ miles a day each way towards the city... Up till 7 years ago, the wife did the same with her car. Only ours is treated like we just paid $13K for it, and expect to keep it another 15 years....
Old 04-05-2014, 09:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Last night on the news I saw some US negotiator go over to Japan I think, to try and negotiate for US cars going there and not meeting their safety standards....

I guess Japan's Gov. can't be bought by lobbyists like ours can.....

I know our MPG standards are the lowest, and I'm pretty sure our quality and reliability are pretty low, but are our safety standards also that low.....

I know GM has either recalled almost everything they make, and suspended the sale of the rest. And Ford now has several websites they would like removed having to do with most of their lineup.... I bet Dodge does too....?

Is the whole "US Cars are getting better" a complete PR scam...?

Allright I did a little checking. Average 5 year old mid size sedan.
Hondas were very good in early 90's but according to this I would take a Ford. Chevy's not bad either. I don't own any of these so your results may vary.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2009/
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Fusion/2009/
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Malibu/2009/
Old 04-05-2014, 10:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Chrysler Made Perfect power steering systems....
Squirrel, I hate to tell you this, but Mopar used GM's Saginaw power steering units from the early 60's to the 80's. They were the same "canned ham" pumps that GM cars used. What might have been different were the boost pressures. Those units used different springs and shims in the valves to change the pressures. I'd have to look it up, but Mopar might have used higher pressures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimeisfun View Post
Yup, rear bumpers were an option on trucks. Used to be that factory bumpers weren't considered heavy duty for towing or farm use, and hitches weren't standardized so there were lots of different sizes and placements in the back depending on what you used. Often buyers would swap bumpers from the old truck to the new.

What it turned out to be was a way for dealers to put some extra nickels in their pockets by ordering all trucks without bumpers and selling them aftermarket. For some reason it seemed to be more common in the South, and usually the dealer had their name engraved into the bumper as a nice rolling advertisement that you paid for.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:13 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Hi Paul, I know Honda's hit their peak in quality in the 90's. Toyota did too.
But my point above, was the current rash of recalls after the GM ignition key quagmire that is just coming to light after a 10 year life. Add to that there just seems to be more of these US nameplate recalls lately.... If you really want to know how good a car is today, you really have to look at youtube, and self made websites for people who are really disgusted with their cars, and others who can say the same thing. Although poor driving habits can make all cars look bad... And for this its usually the big ticket items that show up, like the Honda CVT, the Ford/GM 6 speed transaxle, Nissan's CVT, Transmissions, and engines on all pickups, etc.

Now before you get on me for the Honda's, I wouldn't own a new Honda for all the problems I read about in their new Accord with its subframe alighment troubles, or their CVT's. That front end subframe looks like the dumbest thing I've seen anyone come up with..... It's just that for the past few years that blond twit on the ABC world News, daily, has all this hype about how the US is booming making Bunt Pans, and making up for poor wages recycling our old cell phones, making shoe laces here, flags, all those things driving up the GDP by enormous, just enormous amounts. Included is US cars are making a comeback in quality.... But ford is now at the bottom in quality, where it use to be Dodge, and Jeeps. (consumer reports) So, I'm just wondering is it all hype.... Is it Product Endorsement AKA Product Placement, but the tv news version...? Before they make up the news about the cars do they check CR first...? at minimum...?

As for power steering, I don't know if GM, or Dodge made the pumps.... Maybe a better way of saying it is:

"Chrysler had, in my opinion, the best power steering driving experience".

I remember rear bumpers as an option on PU's too..... Big to get a chrome aftermarket bumper in some areas....
Old 04-06-2014, 07:11 PM
The lead ear.

I had three cars with carbs, and one without power steering.

1980 Datsun 720. Carbed. Never stalled. No PS, and it wasn't even noticeable once you were going at least 10 miles an hour. I loved that thing.

1983 Ford LTD fox. Carbed. Would shudder and occasionally stall going around hard turn, but only on one side. I think it was left turns.

1989 Honda Accord. Carbed. Never stalled. Nice ride, but car had been owned by ricer types previously. Had a nightmare smog system, and was hard in general to work on.

Last edited by Rod Beauvex; 04-06-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:46 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

I like those fox LTDs, especially the wagons. I would like to retrofit one with a stick shift.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:32 PM
The lead ear.

There was a four speed option, but it was rare.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Carburetors revived. Problem is the things known as CAFE and Eco Freaks. Fuel injection and computers won't go away as long as there is EPA. As long as there are safety Nazis in the DOT, Air Bags and ABS won't go away either. GM stalling is not new either. Remember the old 1987 Port Fuel Injected Oldsmobile Gutless Ciera S (stood for S+++). GM too often stands for FUBAR today. Eco freaks, DOT, EPA or no. Most GM I refuse to trust post RWD and simple old school tech they knew how to build. Why, until they provide me with service loaners I can actually drive. (with hand controls). I refuse to buy them. I know they will break and often. GM doesn't want my business. Case in point. 2007 GM full size van. 67,000 miles. Three automatic transmissions, two front ends. One engine. Dealership maintained on time. Driven gently. Took reading them the riot act to get them to assist with repairing it. Ford on the other hand bent over backwards to treat me well with a vehicle at that job. And their dealer ate one expensive repair. And fought with the Zone manager to make it right. I'll consider better Fords. No more GM. I'd rather have Toyota or Honda when I need it to last.

Last edited by KentTeffeteller; 05-12-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller View Post
Carburetors revived. Problem is the things known as CAFE and Eco Freaks. Fuel injection and computers won't go away as long as there is EPA. As long as there are safety Nazis in the DOT, Air Bags and ABS won't go away either. GM stalling is not new either. Remember the old 1987 Port Fuel Injected Oldsmobile Gutless Ciera S (stood for S+++). GM too often stands for FUBAR today. Eco freaks, DOT, EPA or no. Most GM I refuse to trust post RWD and simple old school tech they knew how to build.
Look at what happened in Ghostbusters when the EPA got involved. Seriously though, if drivers want more safety, they have to learn to actually drive, which won't happen with today's sorry excuses for cars.

Here's a RWD GM that's stood the test of time. This car is driven regularly. I suppose it developed a windscreen leak as there was no breakage under that tarp.

Last edited by Jon A.; 09-29-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Audiokarma