Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-29-2023, 09:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Buying items at the E-place!

It's been ages since I bought anything from that familier site!
A few days ago, I was shopping for a new kitchen faucet. I located a Moen, single hole, single handle faucet for $72.00 or best offer. About $40.00 less than Home Depot.
I bid $70.00 first and they countered $70.07! What a bunch of BS!
I came back with the asking price, $72.00 and the thing is on it's way.
Old 07-30-2023, 03:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I like to put items on my watchlist. Often an item will come up with 10% off, sometimes 50% off. I think the sellers put a amount that they'll reduce to and the E place sends you the offer that's good for 2 or 3 days. I've had this happen a dozen or so times in the last year.
Old 07-30-2023, 09:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thats the minimum the buyer would take and he had that amount set up automatically. Many sellers do it that way. So you got an automated reply unless the seller was being a complete jerk. He also may have had the original price set higher at one time and when he lowered his price he left his best offer amount the same.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:31 AM
M is for Memory

I typically avoid eBay if I can find something elsewhere as it's usually cheaper wherever that is.

I had it the other way around when I was shopping for an airconditioner earlier this summer....I shopped around online and the one I wanted that was the best quietness and feature level and almost the lowest for it's capacity and the best price from a place I could buy in person was home Depot. Had to drive to the next town over for stock. I get there and it's almost $100 more in store than online on their own stinking website! I mentioned it to them and "it's not that price when we visit the site on our computer, can't help you"....So they lost my business. I did try ordering it from their site and getting it shipped to home or store and suddenly at checkout the price on their website matches store price. Ugh. I could sue them for deceptive advertising...And someone else should.
There's enough broken websites, operating systems (cough windows11 cough) and software out there that I'd like to roll up a newspaper hit the collective software and programming industry and their managers over the head with it and say "stop publishing broken/poorly tested code just to meet stupid deadlines, get it right before you publish".

I was able to find the same make and capacity (they tweak the model numbers and capacity numbers slightly for store models to make it harder for customers to do apples to apples comparison) for about the mid point of the HD price discrepancy on Amazon and ended up buying that.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-01-2023, 10:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I typically avoid eBay if I can find something elsewhere as it's usually cheaper wherever that is.

I had it the other way around when I was shopping for an airconditioner earlier this summer....I shopped around online and the one I wanted that was the best quietness and feature level and almost the lowest for it's capacity and the best price from a place I could buy in person was home Depot. Had to drive to the next town over for stock. I get there and it's almost $100 more in store than online on their own stinking website! I mentioned it to them and "it's not that price when we visit the site on our computer, can't help you"....So they lost my business. I did try ordering it from their site and getting it shipped to home or store and suddenly at checkout the price on their website matches store price. Ugh. I could sue them for deceptive advertising...And someone else should.
There's enough broken websites, operating systems (cough windows11 cough) and software out there that I'd like to roll up a newspaper hit the collective software and programming industry and their managers over the head with it and say "stop publishing broken/poorly tested code just to meet stupid deadlines, get it right before you publish".

I was able to find the same make and capacity (they tweak the model numbers and capacity numbers slightly for store models to make it harder for customers to do apples to apples comparison) for about the mid point of the HD price discrepancy on Amazon and ended up buying that.
I didn't know you needed an air conditioner!
I have a new 6000 BTU window unit, you could've had very reasonable. I bought it for my former house, but never used it. The place I live in now, has central air conditioning.
Audiokarma
Old 08-01-2023, 03:00 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I didn't know you needed an air conditioner!
I have a new 6000 BTU window unit, you could've had very reasonable. I bought it for my former house, but never used it. The place I live in now, has central air conditioning.
I needed one of those portable units where it blows the hot air out the hose connected to the window. The screens here are a terrible design and have to be removed from the outside with help from the inside. Also I have a capehart turnover changer console in front of the window and it's 8" taller than the sill...So a window unit would have been more trouble to install than it's worth even if it were free. (Part of the reason I didn't try to take and fix one that's been sitting at the neighbors curb since spring.)

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-01-2023, 04:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

As a seller I've found epay likes to take a pretty big cut of your sale. I'd rather just pay for the listing like the good old days. I had a JVC DD-5 cassette deck on there for a month, I was probably asking too much for it but I fixed it's slow capstan speed, replaced the idler wheel, and put a new counter belt (won't play without it!). Thankfully it's direct drive and has no capstan belt. I have a NAD 3020 integrated amplifier that I have fully refurbished, gonna put that on Reverb and see what happens.....

I grabbed a Midea U shaped 12000 btu window AC a few weeks back because the evaporative cooler wasn't cutting it (we stayed at or above 100 for a month) it's quiet but barely adequate for my single wide mobile home, and fairly power hungry using 1100 watts sometimes. we'll see what the power bill looks like.......