Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

still trying

? still trying

dawgs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 009.jpg (33.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 010.jpg (33.1 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by dawgs; 03-12-2010 at 11:20 AM. Reason: don't ask me how I diid-it.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

don't ask me how I did it, with the pictures<?. anyhow, you were right about the scrambled signals, used too pick-up loacl station withe piece of wire,. some where in the upside down and sideways pictures, I was able to see an picture on the philco set,. with cable hook-up. sound would even be better. one thing at a time.

dawgs.

oh yeh! I'm on page three.

Last edited by dawgs; 03-12-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: missed some message content.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Seeing the screen light up is a good sign. Your picture tube and flyback transformer are not completely dead.

Most TV restorers would now go ahead and replace the electrolytic and paper capacitors, starting with the electrolytics in the power supply. This article explains recapping:

http://antiqueradio.org/recap.htm

If you read the TV articles in this section you'll get a better idea what's involved with making an old TV work again:

http://antiqueradio.org/restoration.htm

It takes more than popping in a couple of fresh tubes or replacing one burned-up part (although those things may be needed, too).

Phil Nelson
Old 03-12-2010, 05:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

more pictures

phil.,,, there is one big capacitor in this set, it contains the following m/f's 10,40,80,100,. this capacitator is not over heating, or there is no expelling of internal wax or paper stuff. although, I noticed the 6s4 vertical out/put tube glows very brighty, as if the filliment voltage is being over whelmed, is there a posibility that the heater voltage too this tube is too much?,. I'll look at the shcematic diagram for this tube and see if there is any breakdown in the componets connected to the pins of this tube, and do an filliment voltage check,.. is there any more check's that I can do?.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 001.jpg (39.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (32.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 03-12-2010, 05:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

it could open, therefore no heating up. If you have a proper cap tester (value AND leakage at operating voltage) you can check to see if its ok.

Sometimes they check out fine and may last, but if one section is weak you can bet the others are not far behind. Also you can figure even if they check fine now, they could go anytime.

With out a cap tester you should just replace them on principle alone. With a cap tester you can decide if you want to chance it.
Audiokarma
Old 03-12-2010, 10:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Capacitors -- electrolytic or otherwise -- can look perfect on the outside and be junk on the inside. The electrolytics can also fail at any time without warning.

It's kind of a waste of time to try to troubleshoot other things in the TV until those electrolytics have been replaced.

It's like finding a 50-year old car in a barn, filling the gas tank, and trying to speed off on the highway without making sure it has oil in the crankcase and fluid in the transmission. If you seize the pistons or grind the transmission into steel wool, you'll wish you had done the routine maintenance in the first place.

Phil
Old 03-22-2010, 03:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

have'nt been here

hi guys, sorry I have'nt been here in an while, miner health issues frome fouled up gallbladder surgery. only one moore part for them to get the heck out-of-my-body , have'nt done much of anything around ,lately, don't much feel like doing much, but after the april/01.10, this'll be gone and happy are here again , anyhow guys be sure too have a good one.

dawgs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s1650590873_53761_4314.jpg (4.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-22-2010, 04:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ouch! Get better soon.

Cool cat!

John
Old 05-11-2010, 04:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

new project

, hi everybody, sorry I've not been here latley. but health issues and what-ever have prevented being here. any-how, I have a new project that I just started too work on,. its an R.C.A. victor radio--model-A-22. I've tried to get a shcematic download for it, with little or next to no luck. I went to a site called radiomuseum and got a good picture of it, the site showed part of the shcematic, but when I hit print, it only printed part of the shcematic, suffus too say,there would be a lot of whasted paper and printer ink by the time I got the whole deal printed, so-, I was woundering if anybody might know where to download and print the whole shcematic in one shot?, if anybody can help?, I would appreciate it very much thankyou.

by the way I don't know what all the red underlinging is under some of the words?.

thanks, dawgs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 001.jpg (87.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (88.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 003.jpg (90.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Picture.jpg (82.6 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by dawgs; 05-11-2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: lost pictures
Old 05-11-2010, 05:24 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
, hi everybody, sorry I've not been here latley. but health issues and what-ever have prevented being here. any-how, I have a new project that I just started too work on,. its an R.C.A. victor radio--model-A-22. I've tried to get a shcematic download for it, with little or next to no luck. I went to a site called radiomuseum and got a good picture of it, the site showed part of the shcematic, but when I hit print, it only printed part of the shcematic, suffus too say,there would be a lot of whasted paper and printer ink by the time I got the whole deal printed, so-, I was woundering if anybody might know where to download and print the whole shcematic in one shot?, if anybody can help?, I would appreciate it very much thankyou.

by the way I don't know what all the red underlinging is under some of the words?.

thanks, dawgs
That site only lets you d/l schematics if you are a paid and accepted member. You even have to pass a little test. Otherwise, you only can see a little piece of the schematic.

The red underline means the word is misspelled.

Sent you a PM
Audiokarma
Old 05-11-2010, 05:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Is the Philco TV like this one? This is the best performer I have come across in over 25 years of old TVs. I don't have any specifics on repair since mine has virtually never needed repair. The chassis is light weight and simple. I have had this since 1982 or 3, so I have removed the chassis a time or five for cleaning or minor repair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCI0070.jpg (42.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-11-2010, 05:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
Is the Philco TV like this one? This is the best performer I have come across in over 25 years of old TVs. I don't have any specifics on repair since mine has virtually never needed repair. The chassis is light weight and simple. I have had this since 1982 or 3, so I have removed the chassis a time or five for cleaning or minor repair.

this is the philco t.v. I have.

dawgs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 005.jpg (43.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 006.jpg (56.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-11-2010, 05:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

free site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredictaNoob View Post
That site only lets you d/l schematics if you are a paid and accepted member. You even have to pass a little test. Otherwise, you only can see a little piece of the schematic.

The red underline means the word is misspelled.

Sent you a PM

is there a site too download free shcematics?.

dawgs
Old 05-12-2010, 01:27 AM
AK Member

Check your PM
Old 05-16-2010, 04:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

adobe something problem

Predictanoob, I can't seem too open the file downloads you gave me. there seems to be something called adobe problems, besides that, I've had three complete computor system crashes, yesterday, I finally got a dell optiplex up & running. , I lost the file downloads that you sent me, maybe could you send them again, hopefully this computor will let me see the shcematic downloads.

thankyou again, dawgs
Audiokarma