Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geist View Post
Is it had a set of Coils for its tuning.. It was made at the end of World War II or with in a few years after that..
Car radios tended to use permeability tuning, and in the early days of WW2 there were some radio makers that made car radios for new production cars, but the car industry switched from consumer cars to military vehicles for the war. Similarly the radio industry soon stopped consumer radio production and started making radio equipment for the military. But there were these now orphaned car radios to do something with, as well as a bunch of radio cabinets without chassises. So they were Frankenset-ed together in production to get them sold to consumers who needed a new radio. Maybe yours was one of these.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I am pretty sure it was not a car radio, turned home radio.. I would say it was about a 5 to 6 tube radio.. I don't remember if it had a transformer or not.. I just remember it was inductor tuned instead of Capacitor tuned, since I had never seen one like it before.. I was going thru Radio repair class and I wanted to know what I had, sitting next to me in my bedroom.. So, I took off the back and looked at the inside..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 PM
David Thomas

Like someone mentioned, I've seen lots of car radios with that tuning set-up but few
AA5's.

Now, many early AM/FM tube radios had this set-up for the FM and a typical tuning capacitor for the AM. In fact, I have a couple Westinghouse models where they bought an FM tuner (inductor tuned) from a company called "Standard Tuner" and incorporated it into a chassis otherwise built by Westinghouse.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:26 PM
M is for Memory

I've got a Silvertone farm set with this tuning scheme. It was used in a wide gamut of sets over the years.
If you can remember the cabinet well enough to draw a picture or remember the brand it should make it easier to get an ID of what it was.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-23-2013, 07:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Hi All;
I am pretty sure it was not a car radio, turned home radio.. I would say it was about a 5 to 6 tube radio.. I don't remember if it had a transformer or not.. I just remember it was inductor tuned instead of Capacitor tuned, since I had never seen one like it before.. I was going thru Radio repair class and I wanted to know what I had, sitting next to me in my bedroom.. So, I took off the back and looked at the inside..
THANK YOU Marty
As a long shot, look up the Detrola website.
It shows pictures of the many models, that they produced.
Audiokarma
Old 04-23-2013, 09:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I found a picture of a model of a Detrola 571, that is close.. I will try and post a picture of it.. below.. What I had was all Bakelite, brown in color with white speaker grill (Maybe) and had inductor tuning.. But the picture is close enough..

THANK YOU Marty

Detrola_571_(1946)_Voegtli.jpg
Old 04-24-2013, 12:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
had inductor tuning.. But the picture is close enough..
One nice feature of this radio is that the frequencies are nicely evenly spread out across the dial, not with the high frequencies scrunched together on radios using a tuning cap.

The wire on the coilforms of the variable inductors are wound with varied spacing between turns, so that linear movement of the ferrite core will produce a linear change of frequency.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
One nice feature of this radio is that the frequencies are nicely evenly spread out across the dial, not with the high frequencies scrunched together on radios using a tuning cap.

The wire on the coilforms of the variable inductors are wound with varied spacing between turns, so that linear movement of the ferrite core will produce a linear change of frequency.
It was worse with the Japanese radios.
There wasn't too many radios that had the dial scale reversed.
Maybe they were planning to use a wavelength scale, instead of the frequency scale.