Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:16 PM
On Land

Sweep Gen New vs. Old

I've been looking at sweep generators lately... been wanting one for a long time. Since I've never used one, I'm not quite sure what specs or features are required for working on a vintage tv. I'm pretty sure any of the vintage units will likely work... but what about new units?

While you can get a used generator at a good price, one has to wonder how accurate it will be... so it would have to go to a shop and be calibrated... adding to the cost. Perhaps it is best to simply buy a new one.

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/ezdigital/fg7002c.htm

http://www.tequipment.net/BK4003A.ht...FYdxQgodYUEAWA

Would either of these work well with vintage sets?

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:35 PM
RCA 741PCS

You're going for need an RF sweep gen. that covers 20-30MHz for the older IFs and 40-50MHz for the newer IFs. If you want to align a tuner, you'll need to go even higher.

Those two you linked are function generator that only go up to 2/4 MHz and better suited for lab or audio work.

I've been using a Wavektek 1002 and 1080 for my alignments lately. Both are overkill, but I got them cheap on eBay (less than $100). I didn't need to do any repairs or calibration to either.
All you really care about for accuracy is the markers which are crystal based. Or you can use external markers from any accurate source you have handy.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:39 AM
On Land

Okay I see what you mean about the frequency coverage... thanks. I will look for the higher numbers.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:08 PM
On Land

Wow... these babies ain't cheap! I've never really shopped for one of these until now... had no idea new sweep generators were so expensive. Even used units fetch a pretty good penny.... and many times it seems the used units do not come with cables or manuals.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:29 PM
RCA 741PCS

I agree. No good deals right now on eBay, but be patient. I think I paid $30 for my 1002 and $99 for the 1080.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

I am fixing up a Sencore SM152 sweep generator right now, that I picked up on Ebay a couple of years ago. It did not cost much, and it should do everything we would need for TV (and FM) alignment. It also did not include any cables, but the schematic diagram (which I bought separately) has their details and I am building those today. Basically, just a few resistors and/or capacitors on the injection and pickup cable ends. I am going to put them into short pieces of copper tubing to make small probe-like devices.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 04-05-2013, 01:27 PM
RCA 741PCS

I have an SM 152 too and it's also missing the cable. Looks like a nice unit, but it doesn't do the older 21 MHz IF.