Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:54 AM
Peanut Head

Sony TFM-1000W

Just got this one from Universal Radio. It's a far cry from being *mint*, but is in good, serviceable shape. Four band: AM-FM-SW1-SW2, 14 transistor, backlit dial with tuning meter, 4"x6" alnico speaker. Has a antenna input on the rear and jacks for DC in, Record Out, Aux In, Multiplex Out and Earphone. The case is ivory plastic with a heavy chrome front bezel and chrome bands on the rear panel. More than anything, I was surprised at the clean, strong audio. Not sure of the manufacturing date, but I'm thinking mid 60's. Note the dial is marked in kilo and mega cycles, not hertz and the FM band is slightly extended to 86.5 MC.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sony TFM-1000W.jpg (101.1 KB, 306 views)

Last edited by Celt; 10-21-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:14 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
Just got this one from Universal Radio. It's a far cry from being *mint*, but is in good, serviceable shape. Four band: AM-FM-SW1-SW2, 14 transistor, backlit dial with tuning meter, 4"x6" alnico speaker. Has a antenna input on the rear and jacks for DC in, Record Out, Aux In, Multiplex Out and Earphone. The case is ivory plastic with a heavy chrome front bezel and chrome bands on the rear panel. More than anything, I was surprised at the clean, strong audio. Not sure of the manufacturing date, but I'm thinking mid 60's. Note the dial is marked in kilo and mega cycles, not hertz and the FM band is slightly extended to 86.5 MC.
I have a TFM 1600 that pulled FM from 120 miles as much as I like my 2 Zenith 7000s this unit out performed them
Old 12-18-2007, 08:32 PM
AK Member

Smile My first NordMende is back...

Hello everybody,

I'm very happy to say that after being without one for over 30 years... I finally got my hands on another NordMende Globetraveler on epay... this was the first serious radio I bought way back then... and one day I loaned it to one of my friend... (after much resistance from my part...) and he enjoyed it for a long time to finally vanish (with my radio of course...) but now I have another one and if anybody wants it they will have to pry it out of my dead hands... the only thing that I regret on this radio is that it does not have the teak wood finish... I loved mine for that... this one is black vinyl but is in very good shape physically and plays darn nice too... aaahhh those fonds memories it brings back...

Does anybody know where I can get a diagram for this radio???

Thank you all and Happy Holidays to everyone

Maurice442
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nordmende-globetrotter.jpg (27.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg nm-glr-22.jpg (43.2 KB, 17 views)
ADC:SoundShaper 3
Stanton:980LZS,681EEE,D71EE

Last edited by Maurice442; 12-18-2007 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Forgot pic
Old 04-12-2008, 10:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Red face

Quote:
I love the dial scales on these old multiband radios. They make you want to spend time exploring the bands just to see what you can pick up. Back in the late 1960s I had a large Columbia Masterworks 4-band portable that had the same coverage as this Sony of yours. Had great, powerful audio, AM stations sounded awesome (to me at least), and of course FM offered extra clarity. I have yet to see this Masterwork on eBay...it's as if they've all disappeared from the face of the earth. Fine memories though!

Chuck
Old 03-24-2009, 06:12 PM
AK Member

Quote:
I have that exact same radio except my model no. ends in "WA"