Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2015, 04:52 PM
Banned

1970s? Hitachi VT-8500A VCR found today

Hello everyone, today I dropped by my favorite computer store and I went through their freebie pile and sure enough I located a 1970s vintage Hitachi VT-8500A Top-Loader VCR which had a note in it saying "No Power: won't rewind or fast-forward" so I took it home and I figured that it might of just been a bad belt (because I know that these early VCRs had to have a belt for the counter which if the belt broke or was dry-rotted or turned to tar it would make it so that the VCR wouldn't do anything anymore because they usually had a sensor tied to the counter drive wheel that would keep the VCR going and if the counter drive wheel wan't working then the VCR wouldn't play anymore, it was much the same way as your audio cassette tape players were designed to work early on).

Anyways I took the unit apart and sure enough the counter drive belt was bad (it turned to goo) so I replaced it with a rubber band that was similarly sized as the original belt and put it back together and plugged it in and sure enough there was not juice getting to the unit (it wasn't powering on just like the note said) so I checked the fuse which was soldered in place with my multimeter's continuity check and it checked out normal.

So my question is, has anyone on here worked on one of these VCRs before and if so was there some sort of common part that failed in these old Hitachi VCRs that would cause this "no power" symptom that could be easily fixed or should I just take it to the electronics recycling center?
It would be kind of cool to get this going for watching old movies on or even to use with video games (as it has front and rear AV jacks on it which is unusual for this vintage of a machine).
Again any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hitachi VCR Rear View.jpg (122.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Hitachi VCR Lower Front Panel View.jpg (62.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Hitachi VCR Upper Front Panel View.jpg (73.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Hitachi VCR Top View.jpg (65.4 KB, 30 views)