Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-09-2023, 11:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Not Just A Lurker Anymore

Hello all. I've been lurking around this form for a few years now, as I've had everything to learn and nothing as yet to contribute. So far I've been able to answer all my questions by searching old threads. I figure it's about time to join the party as I'm getting beyond the initial stages of my first TV restoration, a Westinghouse H-604T10, and I'm sure I'll be getting stumped soon enough. I'll start a resto thread for that TV soon, my better half is graciously tolerant of, but bored to tears by my little hobby and it will be nice to share progress with like-minded folks.

In the way of a little background, I've had an affinity for "old stuff" since I was a little kid getting toted around to farm and estate auctions in rural NW Minnesota by my family. I've been a tinkerer for just as long. Half of my childhood was spent "helping" my grandpa fix anything from tractors to toasters on the farm. Whenever a small appliance or bit of electronics broke in our home my parents would give it to me to work on (i.e. dissect and autopsy).

Jump forward a couple decades and while mechanically inclined and always curious about the mysteries of circuits, I ended up with a degree in wildlife biology. A few years ago to scratch the tinkering itch I picked up Motorola AA5 radio with a tag that said simply "Working - loud hum", and I was down the rabbit hole. After restoring a couple of old radios I made the jump to TVs when my then girlfriend saw me making eyes at the Westinghouse in the corner of an antique shop. I talked myself out of it that day, only to have her sneak back to the shop and gift it to me for my birthday. I've since added a 1960s Muntz and an early 80s Sears color set. Nothing special, except that the Muntz is the very first TV my great-grandparents owned and the Sears is the last.

Anyway, I'm happy to be joining this community properly and as a rank amateur look forward to learning from the vast knowledge pool here, and eventually making any little contributions I can.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:51 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Welcome!
Old 02-09-2023, 11:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Welcome! Lots of knowledgeable helpful people here.RonL
Old 02-10-2023, 02:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Better entertainment through electronics. Tesla was right! I'm glad you're here.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:06 AM
M is for Memory

Welcome to VK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1a View Post
Better entertainment through electronics. Tesla was right! I'm glad you're here.
Yeah... There's few things as entertaining as a Tesla coil plasma speaker.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 02-12-2023, 04:54 PM
I like....big sparks!!

Welcome to VK!

Ham shack...AM side: Knight-Kit T-60, RME-45
Vintage SSB side: National 200
Modern SSB: Kenwood TS-180S
MFJ tuner, 130' dipole