Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2022, 04:06 PM
Motorola Minion

You have the 1947 model called the Berkeley. That AM and SW receiver has a sharp tune function that varies the bandpass by a significantly usable amount. This is a rare feature and makes this a superior SW receiver, while delivering better sound on AM stations allowing the filter (treble) to be varied.

Output tubes 6L6G in push pull will drive those two 12" speakers with 15 watts, according to the sales info I had. It is built like a proverbial brick Scheiss-haus, putting it in league with Fisher and other high-end players.

CR-198B is your chassis - The presets are solid mechanical adjustable like a car radio. An optional CR-206 FM tuner (with its own tuning eye tube) can be installed in a delete plate above the AM-SW escutcheon, though I don't recommend looking for one. The DXing on the AM-SW far outshines the early FM tuner

I know - I have one where I recapped the entire chassis and FM chassis as well, that has its own power supply. It is one awesome radio when connected to just a 15 foot antenna, the filter really makes a difference I had to rebuild the bottom of the cabinet, it was in a flooded basement, then put concealed casters on so I can roll it out on my porch.

Your stock record player may be only 78 rpm, the original in my Berkeley was replaced by a newer Magnavox Custom that played all four speeds. I use a stereo ceramic cartridge that is available from V-M as Pfanstiehl P228-DS73. If you play only 78, this can also replace your Webcor's original crystal cartridge if its shot.

First get the schematic from Riders, or have a good look at all of those cap values, order a replacement of EVERY wax capacitor and EVERY electrolytic. Don't save anything and check the resistors, Magnavox used crappy ones just like RCA that drift high blueprint this worthy set by changing out-of-tolerance and wax-bomb caps and you will be very impressed.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 04-07-2022 at 04:32 PM. Reason: CR206 added