Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

New member from San Antonio, says hello

Hello from San Antonio!
I'm a transplanted Detroit-er that tolerates the San Antonio heat for work's sake. Nice place to visit...but...
I've been into Radios and Radio Control since birth. I built balsa and tissue through the plus 80" wing span planes with hacked and salvaged DC motors up to 25cc string trimmer engines.
I started down the FPV or "First Person View" rabbit hole. That's where you have a Gopro camera on the front of the model plane, sending live 600 line color television telemetry back to my flat screen suitcase monitor on an either 5.8 ghz for up to 3 miles away, or my long range uhf 433mhz system for 20 miles... in theory...I'm not that brave.
So radio and TV are my thing...
I recently paid WAY too much for a RCA Victor 14" portable TV. It is model 14-S-7052. It's black and gold and looks like it was styled by the designers of the 1957 Chevy. It is a low hour survivor with ALL the original tubes. It's nearly new old stock. I hope to get started with the re-cap and restore soon. Glad to have a place like this for the fellowship. Cheers and best of luck.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Greetings! Very interesting!
Old 09-14-2016, 08:17 AM
I like....big sparks!!

Welcome to VK!

Ham shack...AM side: Knight-Kit T-60, RME-45
Vintage SSB side: National 200
Modern SSB: Kenwood TS-180S
MFJ tuner, 130' dipole
Old 09-14-2016, 08:43 AM
Looking For Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhop1965 View Post
I recently paid WAY too much for a RCA Victor 14" portable TV. It is model 14-S-7052. It's black and gold and looks like it was styled by the designers of the 1957 Chevy. ...
You had me at black and gold.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:54 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Welcome ashore
Audiokarma
Old 09-16-2016, 12:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Welcome aboard. : ) Tom.J
Old 09-16-2016, 03:40 PM
behind the scenes

Welcome - I live in San Antonio too. I take care of things behind the scenes; server, software, etc...
Old 09-17-2016, 09:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhop1965 View Post
Hello from San Antonio!
I'm a transplanted Detroit-er that tolerates the San Antonio heat for work's sake. Nice place to visit...but...
I've been into Radios and Radio Control since birth. I built balsa and tissue through the plus 80" wing span planes with hacked and salvaged DC motors up to 25cc string trimmer engines.
I started down the FPV or "First Person View" rabbit hole. That's where you have a Gopro camera on the front of the model plane, sending live 600 line color television telemetry back to my flat screen suitcase monitor on an either 5.8 ghz for up to 3 miles away, or my long range uhf 433mhz system for 20 miles... in theory...I'm not that brave.
So radio and TV are my thing...
I recently paid WAY too much for a RCA Victor 14" portable TV. It is model 14-S-7052. It's black and gold and looks like it was styled by the designers of the 1957 Chevy. It is a low hour survivor with ALL the original tubes. It's nearly new old stock. I hope to get started with the re-cap and restore soon. Glad to have a place like this for the fellowship. Cheers and best of luck.
RCA outdid themselves on that set, very high quality. The only 14" set to use a power transformer and 5U4 rectifier, a heavy beast.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:08 PM
Motorola Minion

Glad to have you here. Those RCA's were the BEST portables in 1957, while GE and others were seeing how light and cheep they could make their sets. I have 2 of them.

I lived in a northwest suburb of S.A. until I was 6 and watched a lot of KENS-TV on a Motorola metal 19" - the basis for a lifelong obsession. The heat will go away in two months, hang in there.