Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Seeking Employment

I need some help folks.

Two and a half weeks ago I lost my job of 17 years. I am in the Harrisburg, PA area.

My 30 plus years of telephone customer service experience should help me find a perfect fit.

This is the job that I plan on staying with till I retire. Not a job hopper. Health benefits are needed. Please IM me with any leads.

Thank you and God bless.
Tim
Old 09-06-2017, 09:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Good luck. I've had 8 years of IT work, but I've been unemployed for the past year, no job leads, none.

Your area however is different so I hope for the best!
Old 09-07-2017, 01:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

I know about being laid off. Left my job of almost 24 years. Went to community college for computers. Never found another full-time job. I now receive a small pension and SS. Having heart problems, I'll never work again at what I like to do. I'm still alive and love using my "hollow-state" electronics! Love toobz!!!
Old 09-08-2017, 08:03 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

The writing is on the wall. The only way to fly now is to run our own shows rather than be at the mercy (or lack thereof) of wealthy fools.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wish you well on your job search . Like Jon said it appears the days of working 30 years for the same company and then retiring (as I was fortunate enough to do) are just about over and anyone who can "run their own show" will be miles ahead in the upcoming years .
Audiokarma
Old 09-08-2017, 08:54 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I have more or less HAPPILY been a ward of the gummint since 208.That Stroke was maybe the best thing that ever happened to me. I can't afford many TVs 'n' radios like I used to, but, OTOH, I had a pretty decent collection as it was. I was a middle-level manager, & that's ALL I was ever gonna be. I miss some of the people I worked with, but as far as the responsibility, and all the other crapola, fuggeddaboutit. I have the job I kinda always knew I was SUPPOSED to have, anyhow-Inside man at the Skunk Works... (grin)
Old 09-09-2017, 12:06 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Last edited by Jon A.; 09-10-2017 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Tried to give props but was spat on so I take it back.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:03 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVTim View Post
I need some help folks.

Two and a half weeks ago I lost my job of 17 years. I am in the Harrisburg, PA area.

My 30 plus years of telephone customer service experience should help me find a perfect fit.

This is the job that I plan on staying with till I retire. Not a job hopper. Health benefits are needed. Please IM me with any leads.

Thank you and God bless.
Tim
How about Car Insurance? GEICO here hires all the time for phone service and agents. Only showing a legal opening, but keep them in mind. I was in a maternity ward once where one of the fathers to be was applying for a job at GEICO on his phone. 10 minutes after he applied, he was talking to an interviewer, and not much later, a hiring manager. He had to report the next day - a great way to start a family and new career, I thought.

Also, and I say this with dread, but Collection Agencies also hire frequently. Some love it, most hate it, but it's vittles on the table when you need it. Portfolio Recovery Associates is the biggie here in the East. A wife of a friend was making 45K a year doing it, I dunno how tough it might be.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 09-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
I was in a maternity ward once where one of the fathers to be was applying for a job at GEICO on his phone. 10 minutes after he applied, he was talking to an interviewer, and not much later, a hiring manager. He had to report the next day - a great way to start a family and new career, I thought.
Probably an unplanned pregnancy, one of the greater risks of riding the hobby horse. I know a guy who ended up in such a predicament, never showed any excitement whatsoever and rarely mentions his Mini Me.

Last edited by Jon A.; 09-09-2017 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Omitted comments on other subject, don't need the tension.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:45 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
You were and still are overqualified for that. The Dilbert Principle clearly states that's where most of the incompetent fools end up, keeps them from doing too much damage.
Hokay.... And you know all this HOW ? I've NEVER, as far as I remember stated WHAT I actually did in my 29 year career.. I CERTAINLY have never tried to pick a fight w/anyone over THEIR job..
Old 09-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Think about it more carefully. I said you were overqualified, meaning you shouldn't have been in the same position as those yahoos, that you were better than that. No need to take a swipe at me.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:39 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Trust me, Bubeleh...I meant no harm w/my response...As far as being "Overqualified", I ran into that w/some of my lower grade teechurz... But I saw something on my 6th grade teacher's desk-It was the result of a bunch of tests...Mine said I have an IQ of 28, right under of being a 1st class Moron. THAT started at 30, IIRC....
Old 09-10-2017, 06:58 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Probably an unplanned pregnancy, one of the greater risks of riding the hobby horse. I know a guy who ended up in such a predicament, never showed any excitement whatsoever and rarely mentions his Mini Me.
??? This guy was a husband to a Navy sailor - she had a good Navy job and career, and (I guess, I dunno) a new kid. His Navy career ended by somehow getting injured loading an aircraft in Sicily in 2005. I highly doubt the unplanned pregnancy.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:17 AM
Peanut Head

Let's get this thread back on track and try to help Tim out.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:17 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Tyco (now TE Connectivity, te.com) is a huge employer in PA - check out their listings too. When they were just Tyco, I lost two senior guys to them - the DoD was doing a drawdown in 1992-3 after the Cold War "ended" and these guys got severance packages and found immediate employment with Tyco. Both went to Pennsylvania, dunno/don't remember where. You might be able to leverage an intern job, and then apply internally for a better job there.

Edit: There are also tons of food companies there in Central PA, as you know. There's bound to be a customer service presence as well. Utz, Hanover Foods, Hershey, Stauffers, Turkey Hill, on and on....

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 09-10-2017 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Added additional info
Audiokarma