Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Unplug the cartridge. One of the wires is GND the other audio.
Touch the audio wire with your finger with the volume up abt 1/3.
You should get a very loud hum. If you do its the cartridge, if not
its further down the line. The wires are quite thin to the tone arm.
Easy to break or get pinched. If its in the amp you will need to
either trace or inject to find the problem usually. No big deal but you
will need a manual. Its a good learning event !

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 06-01-2019, 03:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Unplug the cartridge. One of the wires is GND the other audio.
Touch the audio wire with your finger with the volume up abt 1/3.
You should get a very loud hum. If you do its the cartridge, if not
its further down the line. The wires are quite thin to the tone arm.
Easy to break or get pinched. If its in the amp you will need to
either trace or inject to find the problem usually. No big deal but you
will need a manual. Its a good learning event !

73 Zeno
LFOD !
I figured out part of my problem, the replacement needle I ordered had the wrong contact points so in a sense I ordered the wrong needle.

But also when I touched the wires for the "Cartridge" I got a hum out of it, but it was very quiet and distorted sounding, even at 1/3 volume.

Does this sound like anything you've experienced before on one of these record players?
Old 06-03-2019, 12:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

UPDATE: I now know for sure that what my problem was as far as no audio goes was indeed that I had accidentally ordered the wrong needle.

The original needle was an ASTATIC 99-1 Needle which is a 1 mil sapphire tip needle for use with 16, 33, and 45 RPM Records of Microgroove vairety which that needle has the hot contact on the left side of the needle and the ground contact is a plug like contact that is on the base of the rear of the needle.

The one I ordered thinking it was the same as the original and not paying attention to the drawing of how the contacts were done or the model number on the original needle, was an ASTATIC 101D needle equivalent which has both contacts on either side of the needle which is why it didn't work and why I didn't get any audio.

But when I touched a screwdriver to the ground contact inside the "cartridge" the record player made a loud and pronounced humming noise like it was supposed to, the reason why it didn't make a loud humming noise when I tried it previously was because I was accidentally "grounding" the ground contact to the housing of the "cartridge" which essentially neutralized any hum being induced by my touching of the ground contact because it was basically functioning as if the needle was inserted inside the "Cartridge".

So it seems that my next step is to order the correct needle for this unit and I should be all set.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Alright so I finally got the correct needle for this unit and got it installed, and I went to test it out and for some reason or another the audio coming out of this record player sound awful, its extremely distorted and sounds almost like you're playing a record on an old low-fidelity crytal cartridged record player from the early 1940s, instead of a Hi-Fi record player from the 1950s.

Any ideas as to why this thing would sound so terrible?