Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notimetolooz View Post
Marzutra, are you sure you have to disconnect the CRT? In many older sets the CRT is mounted to the metal chassis and everything is removable in one piece.
From the looks of you pictures, I think your CRT has the type of base shown in my second picture. That is the newer design. The plastic piece can come loose without damaging the tube pin connection, so you may not have a serious problem.
Standard warning, be very careful around the CRT neck (where the base and yoke are). There is 14.5 lbs per square inch atmospheric pressure on the glass. That's about a ton per square foot. The tube could implode if the glass breaks and you could get a face full of glass shards! A pair of goggles would be a good idea. The front glass on the cabinet is called the safety glass for a reason. The CRT glass is thicker towards the front of the CRT, but that makes it heavier than you might think.
TVs are more dangerous to work on than radios because of the CRT and the higher voltages used. I'm not sure getting into this is a good idea if you are also moving at the same time.
Thanks. I believe you are right. I will probably just clean up and restore the outside of the box and wait for someone - a real tech - to give it the goods.
If you were to guess, what period would you date this model Phillips? I've no information on it. Just thought it would be cool to have an old Television next to my '37 deForest Crosley floor radio and my '70s stereo...lol
I appreciate all the help and info guys. I am hoping it is something minor. I see all the tubes lighting up. The rear of the picture tube (though the front is 'dead') and sound coming through... My fingers are crossed...
Old 06-12-2017, 09:53 AM
Motorola Minion

That picture tube base is common to 110-degree deflection CRT's - probably no older than 1958.

get a good shot of that tube chart, most of us who think we have seen it all, US wise, can appreciate a set we never saw before
Old 06-12-2017, 11:06 AM
RCA 741PCS

Tube chart shows CRT is a 17BZP4.

TUNG-SOL tentative data sheet has a date of April, 1957
https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/127/1/17BZP4.pdf
Old 06-12-2017, 01:07 PM
M is for Memory

IIRC I've got a spare 17BZP4 in my stocks.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-12-2017, 01:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

So what's the history of the set? Phillips sets are uncommon in the US... did the set perhaps come from Canada?

jr
Audiokarma
Old 06-12-2017, 03:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Theres a date in ink on the chassis right near the tube chart, but I cant see for sure what the last number is but think its 1958.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
That picture tube base is common to 110-degree deflection CRT's - probably no older than 1958.
get a good shot of that tube chart, most of us who think we have seen it all, US wise, can appreciate a set we never saw before
I will try to take a picture of it tomorrow Dav. I was told it was from the 50s.

"Tube chart shows CRT is a 17BZP4.

TUNG-SOL tentative data sheet has a date of April, 1957
https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/127/1/17BZP4.pdf
"
Thanks banderson. Greatly appreciated. I will print this off. The more info the better. There's a TV repair guy here but I think he's more into 'easy' fixes. A very disgruntled gent that hates life itself...lol

"IIRC I've got a spare 17BZP4 in my stocks."
Thanks Electronic. I'm guessing you're located in the States. The costs of shipping one of them to Canada would probably be killer.... We lose over 30% right off the bat thanks to our horrible dollar... Good God!!!

"So what's the history of the set? Phillips sets are uncommon in the US... did the set perhaps come from Canada?"
Hey Jr. I'm guessing that you're 100% accurate. My tech is with the Canadian Armed Forces. He services the planes, helicopters, tanks, radar whatever electronic needs they have. He is an absolute wizard. He did a major rebuild/restoration of my Harman Kardon Citation 16M monoblock amps. He sent me pictures of his process and there was this 50s tv sitting next to them against the wall. I made a comment that I thought those ol-things were stellar. He said "you can have it if you want..." I jumped on it. He was getting into old tvs as a hobby but apparently must have taken up too much space in his basement shop.
I presume it is from Canada though he travels and spends time wherever the CAF are stationed.
That is all I know about the history of this specific set.

I need to clean up the knobs. There is one that is damaged but I think I can 'fix' it. I was thinking I might fill it with wood filler. Sand it down to match the circular portion that broke off. Stain it to match the plastic and it should be ok. I will source a piece of walnut veneer for the top. The set itself is made out of that really cheap/shitty press board with the fake wood paper on top. The sides are 9/10 but the top is probably a 4/10.

I hope I can get it going. I'd like to source a 'matching' stand at some point. These old things are fabulous in my opinion. Something deserving to be kept around...imho.

I'm a newbee at this sort of thing..... speakers and audio gear (I'm on AK) is one thing but this stuff is totally foreign... lol
Old 06-12-2017, 09:47 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromberg6 View Post
I noticed the use of "scru-lox" head screws. Could this TV be a Canadian model? Did a Canadian Admiral back in the 70s, and it had those bleepin' screws. I didn't have a driver at the time, and had lots of "fun" with them LOL.
Huh? Those are very common here and I had never heard them called that before, just Robertson or "square head". I had to Google it to find out what they are. I find them to be among the easiest screws to work with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzutra View Post

"IIRC I've got a spare 17BZP4 in my stocks."
Thanks Electronic. I'm guessing you're located in the States. The costs of shipping one of them to Canada would probably be killer.... We lose over 30% right off the bat thanks to our horrible dollar... Good God!!!
Well, not quite, but it seems that way doesn't it? I just checked, things have changed in our favor a TINY bit, but because of the crazy exchange rate and outrageous shipping costs through eBay I rarely get anything from the US anymore. Good thing I got most of my equipment a while ago. Fortunately shipping from Mouser is still reasonable.

Last edited by Jon A.; 06-12-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Well, not quite, but it seems that way doesn't it? I just checked, things have changed in our favor a TINY bit, but because of the crazy exchange rate and outrageous shipping costs through eBay I rarely get anything from the US anymore. Good thing I got most of my equipment a while ago. Fortunately shipping from Mouser is still reasonable.
It certainly does. No question, especially if you're living in rural NS. Shipping anything here is pretty expensive. Wanted to purchase a pair of Epi M400 speakers from BC but the shipping kills the deal. Was thinking of posting "anyone heading east?" advert..LOL
My tech used Mouser for a number of parts when he restored my monos. I believe Digi-key was another company he uses.
I am waiting for my tech to get back from his vacation in Germany. Perhaps he'll look at and give a service to this ol-Phillips...
Old 06-13-2017, 07:05 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Alrightie, never mind.

Last edited by Jon A.; 06-13-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-13-2017, 08:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzutra View Post
"So what's the history of the set? Phillips sets are uncommon in the US... did the set perhaps come from Canada?"
Hey Jr. I'm guessing that you're 100% accurate.
Pretty easy to see from your earlier picture of the serial number tag that the set is from Canada.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

So that set is probably from 1958. Another clue would have been that it uses Printed Circuit Boards (PCB), they stared appearing around that time. Early PCB weren't very good. The copper traces tend to come loose when re-soldering/replacing parts. Your restorer guy may know about this. Its probably safer to clip the leads of the old components and solder the new ones to the stubs. Another problem was that the tubes and other heat producing parts weren't spaced away from the board material and it scorches after a while.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Well, I'm in Halifax (nothing to be proud of I know) and am willing to lend a hand. I'm the kind who will keep going until a problem is licked and am only satisfied with my work when I've given it my all.
Ah, nice. I used to use Hamblen's for my audio gear however after taking a Pioneer SA9900 to them for servicing - it went back 3 times because the problem was never repaired -but they told me they wouldn't work on it any more. Nice guys though.
Took this same piece to Peak Audio and was told 5-6 different stories (lies) from the sales guy that was different from their tech, who seemed to be pretty good however the same 9900 ended up being totally mangled. Had to sell this, formerly mint piece, for parts and or repair because the lost the top cover plate...(and it was still crap...) Here in Truro, there's one elderly gent who runs- ran - a tv repair shop but I think he's retired now and he's a very disgruntled person...for right or wrong..lol

"So that set is probably from 1958. Another clue would have been that it uses Printed Circuit Boards (PCB), they stared appearing around that time. Early PCB weren't very good. The copper traces tend to come loose when re-soldering/replacing parts. Your restorer guy may know about this. Its probably safer to clip the leads of the old components and solder the new ones to the stubs. Another problem was that the tubes and other heat producing parts weren't spaced away from the board material and it scorches after a while."
Very interesting. Don't know if he does. I'll mention it to him. I did notice a piece was very hot. Don't know what the piece is but it was hot...lol I know absolutely nothing about electronics...
Old 06-13-2017, 02:27 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

CRTs from this era aren't quite a "Roundie", but they aren't really all THAT rectangular, either. its all a ploy to try to get folks to buy ANOTHER TV, since sales of TVs had kinda leveled off. The "Squared off" sets were more modern looking, they told us. Aside from selling a few tiny CRT sets, the next big thing would be color TV taking off, in the mid-late sixties.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
CRTs from this era aren't quite a "Roundie", but they aren't really all THAT rectangular, either. its all a ploy to try to get folks to buy ANOTHER TV, since sales of TVs had kinda leveled off. The "Squared off" sets were more modern looking, they told us. Aside from selling a few tiny CRT sets, the next big thing would be color TV taking off, in the mid-late sixties.
Didn't know that. I still do not own a flat screen.. Perhaps the only person in Canada that doesn't own a cell phone either...lol

I think I'll wait until I find some extra cash and someone to restore/service this thing properly. I'll probably really bugger it - or myself - up...lol
Audiokarma