Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I just ordered two used cells on E***. They're from a 2007 pack and check out at 7.8 volts, no load.
This should prove to be one of the more interesting undertakings, removing and disassembling this pack.
If we don't hear from you in a couple days we'll call 911 for you.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
If we don't hear from you in a couple days we'll call 911 for you.
Operation was a success, the patient lives!
They recommended just removing the one bad cell, but the way they're sandwitched together, it still required removing the cells, preceeding the bad cell. There's all seriesing links on both sides of the cells. The on line proceedures recommended just cutting the plastic between the cells. I just disassembled the entire bank, as one of the cells that had a slightly lower reading and it was the last cell.
There's 28, 7.2v nickel metal hydride cells in the bank, one read 6.4 volts and the other 7.2, where the others read 7.8. Those are all no-load readings.
Will I do it again! Absolutely!
Old 06-24-2016, 10:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Operation was a success, the patient lives!
They recommended just removing the one bad cell, but the way they're sandwitched together, it still required removing the cells, preceeding the bad cell. There's all seriesing links on both sides of the cells. The on line proceedures recommended just cutting the plastic between the cells. I just disassembled the entire bank, as one of the cells that had a slightly lower reading and it was the last cell.
There's 28, 7.2v nickel metal hydride cells in the bank, one read 6.4 volts and the other 7.2, where the others read 7.8. Those are all no-load readings.
Will I do it again! Absolutely!
I should have never made that statement. I had it apart twice this year. One cell-pack failed in April and replaced, another failed last week, just before I was going to the swap in Illinois.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I should have never made that statement. I had it apart twice this year. One cell-pack failed in April and replaced, another failed last week, just before I was going to the swap in Illinois.
I finished the battery pack and installed it. Back to working properly and 51.9 MPG. I still have to replace all the trim panels in the cargo area.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:17 PM
Banned

Sorry to say but IMHO it's junk. Be American buy American. I know this might start some sh&t but that's the way I was brought up.
Audiokarma
Old 07-08-2016, 09:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtvsandtoy View Post
Sorry to say but IMHO it's junk. Be American buy American. I know this might start some sh&t but that's the way I was brought up.
I was 66YO when I bought this car. I bought it to replace my beloved Jeep Liberty Diesel, that was totaled in kind of a freaky early winter accident.
The cars I now own are a 2006 Jeep Wrangler, bought new, a 2000 Dodge Dakota, also bought new and the Prius. I bought many cars in 52 years, both new and used, Dodges, Plymouths, Fords, one International and one big lemon of a Chevy, never a Japanese make. My two main jobs were Union, so that was one reason.
If you study the theory of operation, the design is much better than any other Hybrid. The American firms can't build anything as efficient.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:46 AM
Banned

There is the Tesla. Its a American automotive and better then any Prius.
I just say buy American or all are cars will be like our TVS none built here.
Lets keep Americans working and not the Japanese. It only helps all of us.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtvsandtoy View Post
Be American buy American.
I wish it were that easy to do, I'd be all for it. I know a lot of people locally that say the same thing. It's amazing to them when I walk inside their homes and point out all the foreign made stuff they actually own, even when the same products are still produced here (at both higher cost and lower quality). Often they just assume the old brand name they are familiar with is still produced here, and time and time again they are wrong.

The world is what it is. It's now a global market, for better or worse.

I personally like the freedom to choose to buy what products I want, no matter where they are sourced from. If American products had the best quality at the lowest cost, you can bet I'd be buying more of them.