Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

a metered variac. saved all those new parts from blowing up. I to have a simpson 260
Old 09-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Does your ultrasonic remote tester have the mod to test IR remotes and System 3 drive signals? Zenith went all out with mods to the '240, with neat little articles among their service lit showing how to use it for just about everything. We had a Ziploc style bag with all of the addons for checking horiz drive, vertical drive, and some other checks that involved resistors clipped into the circuit, with the '240 attached in parallel to one of the resistors. I'll di around and see what I can find.

The IR mod added a IR diode, and you drilled a hole in the case to accommodate the diode. The drive mod added two leads and the leads came out of the case through the ultrasonic mic slats cut in the case. The rest of the "mod" parts were external - mostly resistors and a cap or two for coupling. Zenith really liked to add tasks to the remote checker. GE had a similar bitch box for checking their sets - dropped it's use entirely after the MA/MB chassis sets. I used it to check B+ right up into the 2000s. Really neat little testers...

Cheers,
Oh wow, and I only got it as a supplement to my ultrasonic remote collection and because I had never seen one before. The only mod done to this unit is a notch cut in the case that brings the battery connector to the outside. This was done by the previous owner.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have found that the model-specific and chassis-specific service literature is invaluable with vintage TV and audio gear.
Instead of spending a great deal of time troubleshooting by taking voltages or injecting signals or tracing circuitry, you can really pinpoint a problem in a short amount of time regardless of skill level. Things such as I.F. alignment are virtually impossible without the SAMS or equivalent. Same goes for setting convergence/purity although this of course can be 'winged' so long as you've got the proper test gear.
Most of all, I'd say that my external degauss coils, and marker/generator are my most used test equipment. Besides simple tools such as multimeter, HV probe, hand tools etc.
You know what is really nice to have? a variable voltage supply capable of supplying many amps of current. I built one into my test bench area and have used it a lot.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:14 PM
David Thomas

Since I first cut my teeth on television work, I have always used a VTVM more than anything else on the bench. While I have owned all manner of VOM's and digital meters, I always go back to my B&K VTVM.

The shop had three of them when I bought it that were purchased in the 1960's. The range switches were almost completely worn out, but I lucked up on a new-old-stock one in the late 1990's from a local distributor. I wouldn't trade it for anything!
Old 09-14-2014, 02:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet753 View Post
Since I first cut my teeth on television work, I have always used a VTVM more than anything else on the bench. While I have owned all manner of VOM's and digital meters, I always go back to my B&K VTVM.

The shop had three of them when I bought it that were purchased in the 1960's. The range switches were almost completely worn out, but I lucked up on a new-old-stock one in the late 1990's from a local distributor. I wouldn't trade it for anything!
before I retired from Sony we were using Fluke auto rangers. no switch's. it auto detected what ever you used it on
Audiokarma
Old 04-19-2016, 05:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Smile

Old post, my two cents. I like xelite hex driver tools for removing backs from sets. Also need chain nose and diagonal cutters. Hemostats can be handy and polarized and non polarized male to male cheater cords. I wore a tool belt with various tools back in my twenties. Couldn't wear it now unless I got a much bigger belt. Insulated hex adjust tools if your going d
To do any sweep or IF alignment. But not an estential.