Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Lambda c-480m regulated power supply

I am looking for a user manual, hopefully a PDF file, for this old regulated power supply unit. THIS THING WEIGHS A TON! There are 14 tubes protruding from the hinged back panel including 4 6L6 tubes in tall metal envelopes. I have never seen metal tubes that look like these, but I have seen plenty of metal tubes. I want to take the thing apart just to see what makes it so heavy! Understandably, there must be a rather large transformer in there, but my God, they must have robbed one out of a 1940s Dumont TV set like an RA109A! Actually the weight would be closer to THREE of those! This thing is a rack mount design and HEAVY duty as I have ever seen. It really makes me think of possibly military use or other industrial applications, maybe radio/television? So far, I know nothing about this unit and don't see much of anything on a web search. Jut gathering any type of info that I can. Any help, comments, etc. would be great!
Old 03-17-2011, 03:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's a real boat anchor! Don't tear it apart unless you have a really good use for the parts. The weight comes from steel chassis, and big transformers and chokes.

I have a Dressen-Barnes unit that is similar. It has six pass tubes and two high voltage variable outputs plus 10 Amperes of 6.3 VAC. Also has a variac and two meters. A real monster but I have no use for it. Yet, disassembly seems inappropriate unless a goodly amount of parts are needed for some project. To make matters worse, it works fine.

I even have a manual and schematic diagram for it.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't know what to do with the thing frankly. If it worked, I might find a use for it, but like any old equipment it would probably need to be recapped before any practical use could be made of it. I have enough old stuff that needs restoration, but I'm not really into power supply restoration. However, if I found some information on its use and capabilities like a user manual, I could take a shot in the dark and see if it works as is. Are there people who might have interest in something like this? I ask because normally if it serves me no use and people aren't buying, then I will toss it.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:50 PM
a- v- karma member

Original 6L6s are taller than your typical table radio metal tubes, that's for sure.

Hope you find some use for this unit, either whole or in parts. Anyone experimenting
with high powered tube circuits (a ham operator homebrewing the old way,
for instance) might be interested.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

As for replacing capacitors, those old lab supplies used the most expensive parts and often the capacitors are still good. At least, mine has original capacitors from about 1961 and it works great.

As for a diagram, it's a relatively simple series regulator. If it doesn't work, check the ac outputs of the transformers, then the dc outputs of the rectifiers. See that the tubes all light and there is voltage on the plates. You have to measure these voltages with respect to the negative supply output, not the chassis. See that all the VR tubes glow.

You might be able to contact the company and get a copy of the diagram.

Yes, hams would be interested. Especially these days, with a major resurgence of boat anchor interest. Talk to someone from the local radio club or post it on QRZ.COM as some suggestions to get it to someone who would appreciate it.
Audiokarma
Old 05-22-2011, 03:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

shoot an email to Lambda themselves - they are extremely helpful and will send you a .pdf of the manual if they have it - I was 3/3 on the ones I asked for!

Lambda Customer Service

If you want to get rid of it, I would be interested.. I might even be able to pick it up later this spring or summer.......
Old 05-23-2011, 07:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

I was in the same place - trying to decide what to do with my Sorensen 600B power supply. It was found after many years storage in what must have been a dirt floor basement. Hope cross-forum link posting is okay, but here is roughly the story on my boatanchor and what I did: http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...light=sorensen

Mark
Old 05-23-2011, 02:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I read that thread and am impressed. One technical point to make here. The 5R4 rectifier tubes that you say don't seem to light, well in my experience they seldom show much glow. Pretend they light and you'll find they probably work fine.

My Dressen-Barnes is a very similar unit and it could be up for sale here in Los Angeles. It has two separately adjustable outputs and works well. 0-300 and 0-500 Volts, perfect for nearly any tube project. Two meters, volts and mA, plus 10A at variable 6.3V. Only major defect is a crack in one of the meter glasses. And I have a manual.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tube Junkie -

Lambda sent me the manual, if you need it - let me know your e-mail & I will shoot you a copy!
Old 05-27-2011, 03:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

So what ever happened to Dressen-Barnes? Acquired by another outfit, or just defunct?

And what about NJE? I have one of theirs also.
Audiokarma
Old 12-06-2011, 12:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hey folks! I am reviving this old thread to see if there is anyone interested in this monolithic Lambda C-480 power supply unit. It's like a lot of things that I have here in that it is very heavy and I have no practical use for it. It simply needs to be in the hands of someone interested in, as another member mentioned, high powered tube type circuit experimentation or radio broadcast, or perhaps even a museum.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not interested (only cuz I have several power supplies already).
We used to use those and Sorenson's in the military-they were workhorses!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

I just switched mine on. Seems to work perfectly. With the two outputs in series, it gives 800 Volts and 300 Volts simultaneously. Perfect for those old tube transmitters like Johnson Valiant, etc. in case one has one with a blown power transformer.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Second resurrection of this old thread. This power supply is one neat piece of equipment for someone who could put it to good use. It is just a shame that it will sit around my house in a dark corner. This has to be the king of power supplies as JohnHacker mentioned that the military used them.