Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

A local shop I do some side work for has over 50 abandon flatscreens laying around. Not worth the money to fix, customer decided to buy a new one.

So theres a few more dumpsters full.

In the old days if a customer abandon a crt set you could almost always fix it and sell it for $50. Now a shop wont even take the risk of putting a $200 board in a flatscreen because they cant filp it.
The broke, indebted public is so brainwashed and set that new is the only way to go. (just put it on the credit card and add it to the typical household 10k$ in debt)

E-Waste in : E-Waste out
Old 09-03-2012, 11:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
The broke, indebted public is so brainwashed and set that new is the only way to go. (just put it on the credit card and add it to the typical household 10k$ in debt)
When I walk around my small town at dusk when it's dark enough to see the TV's in action in the homes, I'm amazed to see huge flatscreens in just about every home, including the very modest (to put it politely) homes. I shake my head and wonder if I'm the ONLY person still watching a CRT TV in this town. I've also noticed a huge number of 32" LCD TV's for sale on Craig's List. Seems everyone bought into the LCD fad with the smaller sets, and as soon as a bigger size is put on the market, they gotta trade up, to keep up with the neighbors. Did I see the other day, Sharp has come out with a 90" LED for around $10K?
Old 09-03-2012, 11:22 AM
<----Zenith C845

I see the same thing in my small town near Cleveland. Flat screens have become so inexpensive these days (the smaller sizes, anyway) that just about anyone can afford at least one without breaking the bank. What you are probably seeing in your town are very large HDTVs, with Internet connectivity and all, that do still cost an arm and a leg. I pass by a house in my town during my evening walks that has a very large flat screen right where anyone can see it from the living room window; sometimes I wonder if they worry someone might see it and try to steal it when they are away. I'm sure that set must have set them back at least $1k; if so, I would think they would have found a less conspicuous spot for it, where it would not be visible from the street.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
When I walk around my small town at dusk when it's dark enough to see the TV's in action in the homes, I'm amazed to see huge flatscreens in just about every home, including the very modest (to put it politely) homes. I shake my head and wonder if I'm the ONLY person still watching a CRT TV in this town. I've also noticed a huge number of 32" LCD TV's for sale on Craig's List. Seems everyone bought into the LCD fad with the smaller sets, and as soon as a bigger size is put on the market, they gotta trade up, to keep up with the neighbors. Did I see the other day, Sharp has come out with a 90" LED for around $10K?
According to the local newspaper police blotter, Flatscreens make it easy for lazy criminals to fence your TV again.

The only flatscreens at my house are the two PC monitors. A few of the neighbor-farmers are using 80's-90s sets w/DTV boxes, since I put antennas in their attic. Just one thing they donot need to spend $$ on.
Some neighbors are Amish and care even less for TV, but they are into wireless "phones" anyway L-O- freakin' L
Old 09-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
Doncha remember the 1970 song "Welfare Cadilac" ?!? When the ginormous "Big Dish" satellite receivers were all the rage, EVERY single & double wide trailer in Tennessee had at least ONE of 'em close to it...Right next to the loaded 4X4 pick'em up w/the huge 40" tires & lift kit from Fred's House of Really Big & Stupid Tarrs, of course...(grin)

Last edited by Sandy G; 09-04-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: correction
Audiokarma