Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Who's got the funniest TV tech picture?

I found this thumbnail surfing the web...I had to chuckle. Here's a challenge: Let's see who can post the funniest picture of TV technology, TV sets, antennas, etc...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg analtv.jpg (25.6 KB, 106 views)
Old 08-08-2006, 01:34 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Although I don't have a picture, I know of a Los Angeles technician who found out ALL ABOUT how far RF can jump from the cap of the horizontal output tube... Levi's button-fly buttons ARE conductive . Maybe someone who is good with cartoon drawing skills could oblige?

Charles
Old 08-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Talking

Yeh, and whilst you are at it, how about shwing one of me as a teen ager, standing on cement floor, in my bare feet, holding a metal lamp, set un plugged, reaching into an RCA kcs47 A with a hot back 16GP4, trying to get a tuner tube, my right pinky touching metal tube, Amd me flying backwards 35 feet, and lamp flying other way about 20 feet?

Just call me nincumpoop.......Yikes, that hurt!!!!!
Old 08-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Talking

By the way, after that incident, I called my boss, and, asked Gene Petuna, the other tech there what to do After telling me, I said, "Should I do that now?" His reply laughing out loud was "H--l, no!! You already did!!!"
Old 08-08-2006, 07:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Mid 60's Admiral roundie metal cabinet. I was touching up the chroma alignment and leaned over the set to see the picture. No mirror handy. I reached into the back for the plastic alignment tool and grabbed the HV lead instead. The resulting trip across the room was not plesent. Landed on my butt after bouncing off the wall. Made a lot of noise and shook the house. Never did that again!! You just don't forget some lessons.

Bill R
Audiokarma
Old 08-08-2006, 08:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sounds like this thread is turning into "My Most Memorable Shock", so here's mine.......
1 kid(me)- age 11 or 12, 1 buzzer, one old Hoffman high voltage transformer, one longwire antenna, one copper water pipe, and a big pile of series connected batteries.

And so ended my research into spark gap transmitters ...---... it didn't even work
Old 08-09-2006, 02:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

...i think we get the picture. We could start another thread. "Our most memorable shocks". When I was just a wee lad I tried and was eventually successful at building a Tesla spark coil. Say I wish I had a camera 40 years ago to share my escapade...Here's how is went:

Got the tesla coil assembled then I plugged in the xfmr to power it up but it only hummed with a ...strange sizzling sound inside the metal box. When you get older you realise that some things are probably just left alone...but to a 14 year old...that's a different story. Ok, time to tear the old xfmr apart and fix the problem. I meticulouly spent hours and hours removing tar from the xfmr case until I had completely exposed the xfmr core and windings. I repaired the connection and plugged in the primary.

I quickly found out why the xfmr needed to be immersed in tar...it's kinda like the insulating donnut on a flyback transformer ...it keeps the outer HV from arcing to ground. Well, .... the xfmr lite up in a ball of fire. It was quite a scene. Definitely out of the twlight zone. I had erected the thing on top of the family pool table thinking it had a nice large padded surface. My next problem was how do you extinguish a burning neon sign xfmr on top of a pool table? ...and then within a second or two a mains fuse blew, and the room lights went out...except, of course the light from that nice burning glow. Oh, did I forgot to mention the smell of buring tar?

Live and learn. I threw a bath towel over the burning mess and it extinguished itself; after which I dumped the old xfmr in the garbage. Finally, I got a good xfmr and the memory of Tesla produced a wonder 4 foot long corona discharge from the project. I probably nuked myself many times with that thing...still had kids though...guess it wasn't that bad.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:09 AM
Tooluser

Back in the "dumbest thing you ever did" thread I posted this
about a zapping...

But in keeping with the original spirit of the thread, I looked for a little cartoon I saw put up as a "please stand by" test pattern when technical difficulties interrupted tv programming (on WGN??) years ago, it showed a guy prying into the top of an old (big) tv camera with a series of parts arcing ballistically in the air away from the camera, caps, resistors, tubes and whatnot.

I always got a chuckle out of seeing it...

But I never found it.....

Nothing is ever completely fool proof, because fools are so ingenious.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Exclamation

Back in around 1971 I and a friend was trying to repair an RCA CTC19 set. After replacing a width or some such coil in the horizontal, we got it going except for no color. ANyway, while poling around I noticed that the horizontal output tube plate cap looked to be falling off, and reached to push it back down. You can guess what the result of that was.

SOmewhere in the IF I found a transformer with about 70 volts across its primary. Which might explain the loss of color, but for some reason we didn't follow up on this. Eventually the chassis got thrown out, but the cabinet is still around. Anyone need a floor console cabinet for a CTC19?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Found this surfing at work (shhh.. don't tell my boss!). Probably the graphic Fixer described.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Standby.jpg (85.6 KB, 86 views)
Audiokarma
Old 08-10-2006, 09:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've seen that camera somewhere. Only been to Chicago once,and I don't think I saw it then, so maybe other stations used it. That is a CBS eye on the camera, isnt it?

More dumb stuff (as long as we're at it)
Anyone else ever let the smoke out of a selenium rectifier? Dad wouldn't let me back in my bedroom for a week!
Old 08-16-2006, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Unhappy

Yep, smoke, and some sparks. And, on one item, blew the main filter with shorted selenium. Should have recognized burned spot on chassis. Now, I just get rid of them. Hate seleniums. Those mistakes were in years past. Now, I make new mistakes.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:09 PM
Tooluser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmuri
Found this surfing at work (shhh.. don't tell my boss!). Probably the graphic Fixer described.

BINGO... wow!!! Do you have a higher resolution scan of it? Or could I get a photocopy of the original?? I may use it as a screensaver!!

I loved that one....

Nothing is ever completely fool proof, because fools are so ingenious.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nope. The image seems to be floating around the web. Yahoo or google for "cbs_1.jpg". I snagged it from here:

http://www.meldrum.co.uk/mhp/testcard/around_world.html

A couple other interesting images there too.