Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:46 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

I worked as maintenance for a gas station for 5 yrs once, SEEN IT ALL.... Dumped ALOT of absorbent to clean it up as well.. Changed MANY hoses and quick disconnects.
Worse was skimming diesel off the water when a truck driver capped his nozzle..

SR
Old 07-17-2018, 07:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
......Interesting side note I first became aware of GM's and most other auto maker's habit of offering the exact same vehicle under more than one brand with only the badge and grilles different between vehicles...One van was Chevy and the other Pontiac, and I could hardly find any differences...Till then I had never been in/near two cars of close enough age and type of different brands to notice this practice...I've grown ever more attuned since.
Yes indeed , when I was more heavily into my RC model planes than I am today I had an 03 "Chevy Venture" minivan to haul all my gear to the flying field . Good ol GM had at least two "sister" vans , the Pontiac "Montana" and the Oldsmobile "Silhouette" which made junkyard shopping for parts very easy , the only real differences were the exterior trim and badges , under the skin all three were identical right down to the smallest detail . Ford did the same with their 2003 Ford "Crown Victoria" , Mercury "Grand Marquis" and Lincoln "Town Car" (which I own one of today) . Sister cars are great for us for that one reason , parts availability , sure if you need trim pieces they gotta come from the identical car but almost all of the actual mechanical components are a direct interchange .
Old 07-17-2018, 10:48 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Yes indeed , when I was more heavily into my RC model planes than I am today I had an 03 "Chevy Venture" minivan to haul all my gear to the flying field . Good ol GM had at least two "sister" vans , the Pontiac "Montana" and the Oldsmobile "Silhouette" which made junkyard shopping for parts very easy , the only real differences were the exterior trim and badges , under the skin all three were identical right down to the smallest detail . Ford did the same with their 2003 Ford "Crown Victoria" , Mercury "Grand Marquis" and Lincoln "Town Car" (which I own one of today) . Sister cars are great for us for that one reason , parts availability , sure if you need trim pieces they gotta come from the identical car but almost all of the actual mechanical components are a direct interchange .
From a maintenance standpoint, I agree that it is nice and helpful but from an aesthetics standpoint, it often feels really cheap and lazy...Either way, it is academically interesting.
The Envoy I had was also available as a Chevy, Olds, Buick, Saab, Isuzu, and I may be forgetting one or two (interesting part is the Chiltons only covered the Chev and GMC despite the others using the same engine). And my Chev Suburban was made under GMC and Cadillac badges as well as in shortened variants.
Even my Lincoln Mark V is basically a thunderbird chassis with most else above changed.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-21-2018, 09:10 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
This is why you can't pump your own in New Jersey, and YET its always cheaper than PA with the highest gas taxes.
I'm from PA myself, the Pittsburgh area an I still work there even though I live in Eastern Ohio myself. The little town I'm in, I get gas from $2.68 currently and they pump it for you too. Glad it's cheaper, I drive 90 miles round trip to work.