Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Tim, I think I'm in LOVE w/that Motorola...That set is GORGEOUS...
Old 10-20-2006, 09:13 PM
<--1956 300B

AM radio stations online:

www.KDAV.com This station is out of Lubbock, Texas. It was a free stream online till they got their A** sued off. Shame some folks would want to spoil a good thing. The radio station is on Buddy Holly drive in Lubbock. This is the place to hear Bob Wills and Buddy Holly. They really do not play the top 40 hits. It is refreshing to hear some music other than the top 40 HITS. It is one of the places that you can hear some classic country music. The station has a West Texas twang!

www.KONO1011.com They were a 50's and 60's radio station. Now it is a 60's and 70's station. I would always tune them in while driving my 1963 Dodge Polara 500 in San Antonio.

Radio: I play about 25 different radios. I have about 50 of my 100 radios restored.

polaraman
Old 10-20-2006, 11:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Kono is the only AM radio with music other than country/western or hispanic in the San Antonio/Austin area. There were others, but they all changed to talk/sports, etc. Most of my radios (here in Buda, TX just south of Austin) will pick it up fine. Other wise, I would be stuck.

Even the selection of FM is becoming less varied. We used to have a good 1950s oldie station, but it turned to Bob FM where every third song is crap.

One of our two FM classic rock stations turned to religious music, leaving less selection there as well(unless you wanted the religious music).

I have several tube radios that I listen to on weekends when not at work. I also have several tube type TVs (both B&W and color) that I watch-one every evening.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Banned

I often use my '72 RCA big stereo.

I often put the Sirius radio through the tape input and get grest '50's, '60's, '70's, etc music. It has a "Level" switch I have to keep on low for the nieghbors. Beautiful Mediteranean dark big wood console.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:59 AM
Banned

I often use my '72 RCA big stereo.

I often put the Sirius radio through the tape input and get grest '50's, '60's, '70's, etc music. It has a "Level" switch I have to keep on low for the nieghbors. Beautiful Mediteranean dark big wood console.
I am going to use my big '64 RCA stereo when I get it fixed. It has all tubes.
Audiokarma
Old 10-23-2006, 02:41 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

I have a 1937 Philco 37-610 tombstone that is in the livingroom. I listen mostly to AM and Shortwave so the Philco is just perfect. I'm not a big fan of FM and the tuner in our home theater receiver is not that great. I've always been happiest with tube radios.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:03 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by peverett
Kono is the only AM radio with music other than country/western or hispanic in the San Antonio/Austin area. There were others, but they all changed to talk/sports, etc. Most of my radios (here in Buda, TX just south of Austin) will pick it up fine. Other wise, I would be stuck.

Even the selection of FM is becoming less varied. We used to have a good 1950s oldie station, but it turned to Bob FM where every third song is crap.

One of our two FM classic rock stations turned to religious music, leaving less selection there as well(unless you wanted the religious music).

I have several tube radios that I listen to on weekends when not at work. I also have several tube type TVs (both B&W and color) that I watch-one every evening.

I looked for station KONO on TV-RadioWorld but could not find it. Maybe I was looking under the wrong city (I just checked the listings for Austin, not San Antonio).

AM radio in Cleveland, as in most major U.S. cities, is mostly talk, sports and religion, except perhaps for Radio Disney. I get music stations from towns 70-some miles away, especially on my Zenith C-845, which are a breath of fresh air, IMHO. I live near the southern shore of Lake Erie, so can also get several music stations from Toronto and other southwestern Ontario cities. CHWO AM 740 in Toronto is one of the best Canadian AMs I have heard in a long time. The station plays strictly music from about the '30s through the '70s, with a completely automated overnight show they call the AM 740 Jukebox. The station has great coverage across southwestern Ontario and also the northeastern U. S., as several AK members in the latter region have found (stereofisher and also Kamakiri come to mind as I write this). I live in northeastern Ohio, 35 miles east of Cleveland, but still hear 740 quite well all the time (because I live so close to the lake).

FM radio in Cleveland, also as in all major U.S. cities, is limited to about four major formats today. Most stations in the area play rock (not surprising, as Cleveland is the home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame), but there are two country-western stations, a classical station (which is buried by one of the C&Ws 0.2 MHz down the dial, making it unlistenable in this area), three religious stations, an oldies station, a classic rock station, and the usual assortment of NPR and low-power college stations between 88 and 92 MHz. It's much more varied now than it was when I was a kid growing up in the late '60s and '70s, when most FMs here or anywhere in the country either were classical, played automated elevator music or simulcast their companion AMs which often had the same calls as the FMs as well--there was at least one pair of stations in Cleveland which were like that; both were operated by NBC and had the calls WKYC-AM and FM respectively--the FM played automated elevator music, show tunes, and, at the top of every hour, it would simulcast NBC radio news with WKYC-AM which was a top-40 rocker at the time. On weekends, both WKYC-AM and WKYC-FM (the latter broadcasting in stereo on 105.7 MHz) would simulcast the (now defunct) NBC Radio Network variety program "Monitor Beacon." (Not to be outdone, CBS Radio also had a network show it called, aptly enough, "The CBS Radio Mystery Theater", which left the air about 25 years ago).

The early '70s saw huge changes in Cleveland radio, especially where NBC's operated stations were concerned. WKYC-AM and FM were sold from NBC to a local media group, one of several such companies to own these stations over the next 35 years. WKYC-AM went from middle-of-the-road (MOR) music to talk in the '70s and has remained a talk/sports station since about 1977 or so. WKYC-FM went from automated elevator music to album rock during this period as well, changing to all oldies in the early 1980s, also changing calls to WMJI-FM (the call sign the station still has to this day) in 1981. Cleveland's progressive rock station is WMMS 100.7, which used to be WHK-FM until 1968. WDOK and WQAL, 102.1 and 104.1 respectively, were easy listening stations from the late '60s until perhaps 1990. WXTM, in suburban Cleveland, which began, IIRC, as WCUY-FM, has had several calls and formats since it went on the air in the city of Cleveland Heights in the late 1950s. It is now alternative rock WXRK, 92.3 MHz, and broadcasts from the top of Cleveland's Terminal Tower downtown. WCUY, et al. used to have its studios and transmitter on Lee Road, the main drag in Cleveland Heights; I lived one street over from them in the early '70s (I could see the tower lights from my third-floor bedroom window after dark and walked right past the tower on my way to school in the morning); the station put in a tremendous signal at that location, which came in fine on channel 6 of my TV set, between local Cleveland stations on my stereo, etc.

All I can say is, thank goodness for XM/Sirius satellite radio. The formats and loudmouth DJs on Cleveland's FM stations left a bad taste in my mouth the last few years; now with satellite, there are no commercials, and the music is much more varied than local FM radio ever was. Where you have FM stations playing the same 200-song play list over and over again in every major city in the country, XM/Sirius' music is much less boring and much more enjoyable, especially without the commercials. Makes me wonder why I waited so long to discover AOL Radio with XM through Winamp.

BTW, one of Cleveland's FM stations is probably running "Bob" FM or some variation of that format, as I've seen their logo on their website which has the words "No Rules" in a red circle, with a red slash through it. I don't listen to the station, so don't know much about it, but that format certainly smacks of "Bob" or any one of several other automated, named formats. One trademark of "Bob" FM is their slogan, "We Play What We Want", which doesn't seem to me to be in the public interest--oh, well. Time was when AM radio stations would take requests and actually listen to their listeners, without whom, of course, they wouldn't exist. FMs played decent easy-listening music until about the '90s as well. But today's AM and FM radio stations are poles different from what they were years ago. I shudder to think what AM and FM will be like even five years from now.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

I know here in Pittsburgh, we have "Bob FM" on 96.9 Mc, there is a "Sam FM," in Greensburg to the east, there is a "Jack FM" in New York City and from wht my co-worker told me, there is a "Ted FM" in Columbus, Ohio. Makes me wonder how these thinks get started, I mean, are there a bunch of suits around the table where one says, "hey, I got a great idea, how about naming a station after guy's names and take it from there?" :p
Old 10-23-2006, 09:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

KONO is in San Antonio.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:08 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by peverett
KONO is in San Antonio.
I found KONO, finally, on TVRadioWorld.com just now after reading your reply. Was looking under the wrong city after all. AM 860 (5kW day/0.9kW night), FM 101.1. They are 1960s-'70s oldies stations much like our "Majic 105.7" in Cleveland, "B107.9" in Columbus, "Big 106" in Youngstown (near Pittsburgh), et al.

Audiokarma
Old 10-26-2006, 01:12 AM
Shaken, not stirred

After reading these last few posts, I'm more convinced than ever just how lucky we are here in the Phoenix area. Not only do we have 94.5 KOOL-FM (one of the oldest...'oldies' stations in the USA) and the 'Doo Wop Express' every Saturday night, but several other nice jazz and adult contemporary spots on the dial too. This doesn't include the awesome KCDX 103.1 (kcdx.com, give it a listen online) a true advert free, DJ free, 'underground' radio station that can be picked up in most of the Valley. While doing business in Germany last July, I'd log onto KCDX before going to sleep, just like I do at home. Yeah, the sound from my Dell laptop is a far cry from an H845...but it’s better than all night polka!
Old 10-26-2006, 04:00 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan Woodbury
After reading these last few posts, I'm more convinced than ever just how lucky we are here in the Phoenix area. Not only do we have 94.5 KOOL-FM (one of the oldest...'oldies' stations in the USA) and the 'Doo Wop Express' every Saturday night, but several other nice jazz and adult contemporary spots on the dial too. This doesn't include the awesome KCDX 103.1 (kcdx.com, give it a listen online) a true advert free, DJ free, 'underground' radio station that can be picked up in most of the Valley. While doing business in Germany last July, I'd log onto KCDX before going to sleep, just like I do at home. Yeah, the sound from my Dell laptop is a far cry from an H845...but it’s better than all night polka!

I used to think FM radio in Cleveland wasn't too diversified, until I got to thinking about the formats of the stations in the metropolitan area. The stations have just about every category of music covered, except easy listening (we lost the last easy-listening station, which was in a town some 50 miles east of Cleveland and 35 miles east of where I live today, in 1990 or thereabouts, when that station was changed to rock; it is now running a format it calls soft favorites, much the same as does a similar station in Cleveland, but it's not nearly the same as it was, and never will be again, I'm afraid).

I will have to log on to kcdx.com one of these days. One nice thing about the Internet is that stations which stream over the Web have a potentially worldwide audience (there is in effect no such thing as out-of-town FM anymore, or reception problems for that matter, if you have Internet access), so you need never be out of earshot of your favorite station (even if you live hundreds or thousands of miles away) if that station is online as well as on-air. The oldies station in Cleveland makes a big deal of streaming over the web; its identification announcement at or near the top of every hour even puts its Internet URL ahead of the station's own on-air call sign and location.

The only drawback to web streaming is that not all stations do it; the reason for that, of course, is that it costs any radio station a great deal of money to put its programming on line as well as on the air at the same time. The big stations operated by Clear Channel, Infinity, et al. can afford to do it, but many smaller FMs in small towns or smaller metropolitan areas cannot. There are some TV stations as well, mostly in very small markets out West (for example, at least one NBC affiliate in Wyoming isn't online yet, as I found out after looking it up on NBC's website, NBC.com), which do not yet have Internet web sites for the same reasons.