Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:52 PM
I need that radio

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrynsue View Post
I did but out of all of the pieces I purchased, there were only 9-10 pieces of McIntosh equipment.

I still have quite bit. Anyone looking to do something like I did should get a partner or two as selling HUNDREDS of pieces of gear, manuals, tubes, etc. is quite an undertaking. I still buy but usually only highern end or somewhat immaculate equipment.

You will tire quickly if everything is a restoration project so make sure you have a partnership were one knows how to repair and another knows how to sell and pack. Trying to do everything will wear you out, especially when you have a job that takes up 10-12 hours each day.

Buying a project in one lot is not recommended even IF the price is right unless it is good stuff

You made the right decison.

Barry

It's still tough to walk away, I've been on the old radio hunt for about 35 years, of course back then people Begged you to take them away. Times do change
Have worked for about 40 years testing, marketing and manufacturing almost all types of electrical insulation materials. Epoxys, nomex, magnet wire enamels, mica tapes, almost any type of dielectric material out there.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Who Knows!

Come down to Virginia as I have quite a few that would be excellent projects. Not in bad shape whatsoever but need new caps, etc. Soem very nice pieces actually but I am always hesitant to sell improperly working items on the auction site as some don't understand what "as is" means.

I do have a few that I will not get rid of including a McMurdo Silver II in the cabinet with beautiful chrome chassis, AK 10B breadboard and a few others.

Barry

Currently running a McIntosh C-2200, MC-225/275, MAC 5100, VPI Scoutmaster TT, MR-67 FM Tuner, MCD-7009 CDP, Polk XM Tuner, QUAD ESL 57's, Klipsch Klipschorns, Altec Model 19's, Pioneer SX-1050, and more!
Old 07-11-2007, 06:27 PM
I need that radio

thanks

Quote:
Come down to Virginia as I have quite a few that would be excellent projects. Not in bad shape whatsoever but need new caps, etc. Soem very nice pieces actually but I am always hesitant to sell improperly working items on the auction site as some don't understand what "as is" means.

I do have a few that I will not get rid of including a McMurdo Silver II in the cabinet with beautiful chrome chassis, AK 10B breadboard and a few others.

Barry
Damn, was in Richmond two weeks ago on business
Have worked for about 40 years testing, marketing and manufacturing almost all types of electrical insulation materials. Epoxys, nomex, magnet wire enamels, mica tapes, almost any type of dielectric material out there.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Who Knows!

Next time, let me know when you are coming down. I am about an hour away.

Barry

Currently running a McIntosh C-2200, MC-225/275, MAC 5100, VPI Scoutmaster TT, MR-67 FM Tuner, MCD-7009 CDP, Polk XM Tuner, QUAD ESL 57's, Klipsch Klipschorns, Altec Model 19's, Pioneer SX-1050, and more!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:16 PM
I need that radio

Quote:
Next time, let me know when you are coming down. I am about an hour away.

Barry
Thanks will do,
Audiokarma
Old 07-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Resident Frog

Quote:
...get a partner or two as selling HUNDREDS of pieces of gear, manuals, tubes, etc. is quite an undertaking... Buying a project in one lot is not recommended even IF the price is right unless it is good stuff
That, Folks, is the beauty of AK - 20,000 people just reaped the benefit of Barry's knowledge and experience. Thanks Barry, you're a credit to AK!

Nothing outside you can ever give you what you're looking for. I'm gone fishing... see you at the pond.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:42 AM
Who Knows!

Always willing through my .02 in and thanks.

There is a big difference in buying quality and going into someone's basement and finding a bunch of unfinished projects that take forever. Starts out as fun but can quickly wear you out. How do I know? Other than the large collection I purchased, I also have done the above and it can get overwhelming not to mention frustrating.

I helped this poor woman out who's husband had dementia and a ton of what I would come to consider JUNK. Yes, I made a few bucks but I had to store it (still have most of it) and with the exception of a few quality pieces, most of the rest are things that while they do have value, I was not interested in it. A lot of test equipment, old electronic parts, cumputer stuff, etc. It just got in my way and remains there somewhat although I have either given or thrown away much of it. Some will cringe knowing that there may have been some good and useful stuff but I was so overwhelmed I couldn't deal with it anymore. I am STILL feeling this way and have cut back my selling tremendously as I am just burned out. And it took us two full days. The old lady was smart as she made some money and got us to clean out her basement!

Packing alone will frustrate the heck out of you if you do it properly not to mention all of the moving, cleaning, repairing, pictures, questions, posting of auctions, etc. that you do.

So did I may a good move when I purchased the collection? Absolutely, as it has brought me more friends around the world than I could have ever imagined. I feel like there are very few places where I could travel and not have a someone who would be willing to assist me if I were in their neck of the woods and have reaped those benefits as far away as Venice, Italy! The money has been quite good also but that has really been secondary. I have had a unique opportunity to have owned and listened to some (most) of the finest vintage audio equipment ever produced. That was my goal and it has ben accomplished. I have kept a few of the items for my peronal use although not very much. More of the radio collection which I knew absolutely nothing about remains in my home. Looking back, I should have kept a few more pieces but you can't keep it all.

IT has been a great ride and would have been quite a bit easier IF I had a partner. The gentleman who does my repairs was super helpful in helping through as he grew up repairng all of this same stuff in the 60's and early 70's. Gave me great counsel but happens to live in Kansas. If I would have had someone like him here in VA, it would have been so much easier.

Sorry for this rant as I will stop now. The story however of all of my dealings is long and so much has happened because of it. This is not to discourage anyone but understand what you are getting into when you happen to see this dark basement filled with STUFF. You know it may be the Mother Lode but can also be somewhat of a folly.

Tread carefully and best of luck!

Old 07-24-2007, 09:07 AM
AK Member

have her place it or help her put it on Ebay bet she would sell it all make the ad asy One Lot Deal
Pick up only
hope this help-s from radioman56

PS I know I purchased a lot for $50 form a friend i got a few goodies a crosley fiver all orignal excpt 2 top chassis filter cans missing someone recapped it years ago and many many plastic radios as well Even one with a cigerette lighter on top LOL.