Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > International Vintage Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2015, 02:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Austrian 1957 Hornyphon TV Restoration

I don't usually make restoration threads, but I thought it would be appropriate in this case since I've had this Austrian Hornyphon delivered to me for a complete rebuild.

Hornyphon was the Austrian division of Philips. The set adheres to the CCIR broadcast standard and runs off of 220VAC at 50Hz. I'll be making no modifications to this TV whatsoever, so I'll be restoring it to factory specification. The owner of this TV set lives here in Sacramento; a Physicist and ardent collector who wishes to maintain the originality of this rare example of early European TV.

So, a little bit about the story behind this set. As it was explained to me by the owner (who I'm not yet positive wants his actual name mentioned) this TV set was the very one in use in his family home in Austria when he was a child. Recently, it became necessary for him to clean up his family’s estate which this set was still a part of. He had it crated and couriered over from Austria to his home here in Sacramento. Aside from the set’s rarity (especially in the US) and collector value, it also maintains quite a bit of sentimental value.

I'm going to be rebuilding the electronics and returning everything to factory specification. He wants every capacitor, resistor, and diode replaced. The power supply and tuner are going to be kept original- not modified for US power, as the owner will be running the TV from a custom 220VAC 50Hz power supply which he built. The signals will also be fed into the TV using either PAL DVD or a custom CCIR signal converter.

Something unusual to note about this design is that it is entirely DC coupled.

Here's a youtube video I made of the initial inspection... watch as a I fumble around with my narrow angle iphone camera:

http://youtu.be/IVSjCuJ2NQM

Comments, technical and historical details appreciated, this is the first time I've ever been into a European set.