Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:24 AM
I need that radio

My wife is getting REALLY nervous

I stopped at a garage sale down the road Saturday. Poked around bought a couple of records, then noticed a sign "antique radio: inquire". I inquired, the woman said her dad had been a collector and the garage and basement were full to overflowing with radios, parts, tube amps, receivers, and she wants to sell as one lot. Of course I got the "where are you going to put all that junk if you buy it". Anyway, waiting on her call on thursday so I can go through everything and give her a price.
Have worked for about 40 years testing, marketing and manufacturing almost all types of electrical insulation materials. Epoxys, nomex, magnet wire enamels, mica tapes, almost any type of dielectric material out there.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Old School is New School

That is exciting, you never know what you will find! Tube amps, maybe Macintosh, Marantz, Heathkit, you never know. Keep us informed.

Harman Kardon Citaton I preamp, Marantz 8b amp, Klipschorns speakers, Thorens TD 124 turntable, and piles of other gear.....
Old 07-03-2007, 09:48 AM
LS3/5a Expert, JBL Nut!

Let us know if you need help with purchasing any or all of that gear. I'll bet some of us would love to have a chance to participate or cooperate with your score.

Regards,

Bart
Old 07-03-2007, 09:59 AM
I need that radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
Let us know if you need help with purchasing any or all of that gear. I'll bet some of us would love to have a chance to participate or cooperate with your score.

Regards,

Bart
Will do, I plan on taking inventory and if a fair offer comes to more than I want spend I ll post whats available.
Could be a treasure or a big pile of junk. Im just hoping he took better care of his "collection" than he did his vinyl, most were in rough shape.
Have worked for about 40 years testing, marketing and manufacturing almost all types of electrical insulation materials. Epoxys, nomex, magnet wire enamels, mica tapes, almost any type of dielectric material out there.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Lost in the Supermarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech986 View Post

Regards,

Bart
I can help with that. That would be a fun project. Didn't AK members BarrynSue do something like this where they bought a collection of Mac gear and sold it on eBay?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Old School is New School

I am looking for a nice preamp so keep me in mind if you need to move some of that stuff.

Harman Kardon Citaton I preamp, Marantz 8b amp, Klipschorns speakers, Thorens TD 124 turntable, and piles of other gear.....
Old 07-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Dazed and Confused

How'd you make out with that Crosley? Or was it a Strom-Carlson? Don't remember now
Old 07-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Audiophool

I'll be watching this space too...
Old 07-03-2007, 01:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you find a nice vacuum tube stereo tuner, a vacuum tube FM, multiplex adaptor or a vacuum tube preamp that you don't need let me know. Also if you happen to find a SEP 6BQ5 stereo amp that you don't need I would be interested in that too (doesn't matter who made it as I would be putting my own circuitry in there).
AKAI GX 255 RTR
iPod & computer
DIY speakers (upgrading them soon)
Old 07-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Shaken, not stirred

Will you post a list here after your meeting? If so, I'll be looking forward to that-
Home desk: Zenith X338 / H272W Circle of Sound
Truck: Kraco Dust-O-Matic, circa 1977
Audiokarma
Old 07-03-2007, 11:58 PM
Son of Zod

Must....follow......this......thread.....
Old 07-11-2007, 05:06 PM
I need that radio

got to see the goods

I went last thursday for a tour of the basement and associated sheds.
There really weren't any audio treasures. It looked like the guy was a "collector" of vintage radios. I have a 3 page inventory of what was there.
It didnt look like this was actually a "restorer" lots of boxes of tubes, but virtually no test equipment. There were dozens of chassis in various stages of disrepair. but also some nice intact units, Atwater kents etc.
I will scan the inventory sheet and if anyone is interested the owner has given me permission to give her phone number to anyone interesed in bidding on the entire lot. Drop me an email and I will forward the list.
I am not going to bid on the lot, I just dont have the time to deal with everything there. The items are located about 30 minutes north of Albany NY. A quick quesstimate is that it would take 3 good pickup loads to get everything (maybe more).
Old 07-11-2007, 05:09 PM
I need that radio

Crosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinover View Post
How'd you make out with that Crosley? Or was it a Strom-Carlson? Don't remember now
Hey Bob,
The Crosley is still in my garage, hopefully I'll get to it during the cold weather. I have severaly outside projects going at the moment that are on "her" list. lol
Thanks again for the radio, I will get to it eventually.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Who Knows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffinator View Post
I can help with that. That would be a fun project. Didn't AK members BarrynSue do something like this where they bought a collection of Mac gear and sold it on eBay?
I did but out of all of the pieces I purchased, there were only 9-10 pieces of McIntosh equipment.

I still have quite bit. Anyone looking to do something like I did should get a partner or two as selling HUNDREDS of pieces of gear, manuals, tubes, etc. is quite an undertaking. I still buy but usually only highern end or somewhat immaculate equipment.

You will tire quickly if everything is a restoration project so make sure you have a partnership were one knows how to repair and another knows how to sell and pack. Trying to do everything will wear you out, especially when you have a job that takes up 10-12 hours each day.

Buying a project in one lot is not recommended even IF the price is right unless it is good stuff

You made the right decison.

Barry

Currently running a McIntosh C-2200, MC-225/275, MAC 5100, VPI Scoutmaster TT, MR-67 FM Tuner, MCD-7009 CDP, Polk XM Tuner, QUAD ESL 57's, Klipsch Klipschorns, Altec Model 19's, Pioneer SX-1050, and more!
Old 07-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Lost in the Supermarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrynsue View Post
Buying a project in one lot is not recommended even IF the price is right unless it is good stuff

You made the right decison.

Barry
That looks like excellent advice to me.